When Is It Safe for Patients to Drive After Right Total Knee Arthroplasty?

Victor Hernandez, Alvin Ong, Fabio Orozco, Anne M. Madden, Zachary Post

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

5 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background Advances in surgical technique and pain management have changed total knee arthroplasty (TKA). How soon after TKA are patients able to return to driving is a common question. Most surgeons prescribe 6-8 weeks postoperative based on old literature. Our hypothesis is that patient who undergoes TKA with contemporary techniques will return to their baseline before the 6th postoperative week. Methods After institutional review board approval, 50 patients with right TKA were prospectively evaluated. All patients underwent a preoperative brake reaction time (BRT), 2, 4, and 6 weeks postoperative. At each testing, we ask them if they felt that they were ready to drive. Results Forty-seven patients completed the study protocol. Mean preoperative BRT was 0.692 seconds. At 2 weeks postoperative, the BRT was 0.631 seconds. Thirty-nine patients (80%) reached their baseline by 2 weeks, and the remaining 10 (20%) reached it at 4 weeks postoperative. Confounding variables revealed no differences between groups. From the group that returned to baseline at 2 weeks, 67% patients stated they felt they were ready to drive, 21% patients said they were not sure, and 12% patients stated they were not ready to drive. Conclusion BRT returned to baseline in most patients by the 2nd week postoperative and in all patients by the 4th week. Patient perception of driving ability can predict return of BRT. These findings have allowed us to encourage patients to reevaluate their driving ability between the 2nd and 4th postoperative weeks after TKA.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)2495-2498
Number of pages4
JournalJournal of Arthroplasty
Volume31
Issue number11
DOIs
StatePublished - Nov 1 2016

Fingerprint

Knee Replacement Arthroplasties
Reaction Time
Aptitude
Drive
Confounding Factors (Epidemiology)
Research Ethics Committees
Patient Rights
Pain Management

Keywords

  • driving
  • knee outcomes
  • outcomes
  • recovery
  • total knee arthroplasty

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Orthopedics and Sports Medicine

Cite this

When Is It Safe for Patients to Drive After Right Total Knee Arthroplasty? / Hernandez, Victor; Ong, Alvin; Orozco, Fabio; Madden, Anne M.; Post, Zachary.

In: Journal of Arthroplasty, Vol. 31, No. 11, 01.11.2016, p. 2495-2498.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Hernandez, Victor ; Ong, Alvin ; Orozco, Fabio ; Madden, Anne M. ; Post, Zachary. / When Is It Safe for Patients to Drive After Right Total Knee Arthroplasty?. In: Journal of Arthroplasty. 2016 ; Vol. 31, No. 11. pp. 2495-2498.
@article{d700ea2e08f14072a5d182b6143829bf,
title = "When Is It Safe for Patients to Drive After Right Total Knee Arthroplasty?",
abstract = "Background Advances in surgical technique and pain management have changed total knee arthroplasty (TKA). How soon after TKA are patients able to return to driving is a common question. Most surgeons prescribe 6-8 weeks postoperative based on old literature. Our hypothesis is that patient who undergoes TKA with contemporary techniques will return to their baseline before the 6th postoperative week. Methods After institutional review board approval, 50 patients with right TKA were prospectively evaluated. All patients underwent a preoperative brake reaction time (BRT), 2, 4, and 6 weeks postoperative. At each testing, we ask them if they felt that they were ready to drive. Results Forty-seven patients completed the study protocol. Mean preoperative BRT was 0.692 seconds. At 2 weeks postoperative, the BRT was 0.631 seconds. Thirty-nine patients (80{\%}) reached their baseline by 2 weeks, and the remaining 10 (20{\%}) reached it at 4 weeks postoperative. Confounding variables revealed no differences between groups. From the group that returned to baseline at 2 weeks, 67{\%} patients stated they felt they were ready to drive, 21{\%} patients said they were not sure, and 12{\%} patients stated they were not ready to drive. Conclusion BRT returned to baseline in most patients by the 2nd week postoperative and in all patients by the 4th week. Patient perception of driving ability can predict return of BRT. These findings have allowed us to encourage patients to reevaluate their driving ability between the 2nd and 4th postoperative weeks after TKA.",
keywords = "driving, knee outcomes, outcomes, recovery, total knee arthroplasty",
author = "Victor Hernandez and Alvin Ong and Fabio Orozco and Madden, {Anne M.} and Zachary Post",
year = "2016",
month = "11",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1016/j.arth.2016.04.027",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "31",
pages = "2495--2498",
journal = "Journal of Arthroplasty",
issn = "0883-5403",
publisher = "Churchill Livingstone",
number = "11",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - When Is It Safe for Patients to Drive After Right Total Knee Arthroplasty?

AU - Hernandez, Victor

AU - Ong, Alvin

AU - Orozco, Fabio

AU - Madden, Anne M.

AU - Post, Zachary

PY - 2016/11/1

Y1 - 2016/11/1

N2 - Background Advances in surgical technique and pain management have changed total knee arthroplasty (TKA). How soon after TKA are patients able to return to driving is a common question. Most surgeons prescribe 6-8 weeks postoperative based on old literature. Our hypothesis is that patient who undergoes TKA with contemporary techniques will return to their baseline before the 6th postoperative week. Methods After institutional review board approval, 50 patients with right TKA were prospectively evaluated. All patients underwent a preoperative brake reaction time (BRT), 2, 4, and 6 weeks postoperative. At each testing, we ask them if they felt that they were ready to drive. Results Forty-seven patients completed the study protocol. Mean preoperative BRT was 0.692 seconds. At 2 weeks postoperative, the BRT was 0.631 seconds. Thirty-nine patients (80%) reached their baseline by 2 weeks, and the remaining 10 (20%) reached it at 4 weeks postoperative. Confounding variables revealed no differences between groups. From the group that returned to baseline at 2 weeks, 67% patients stated they felt they were ready to drive, 21% patients said they were not sure, and 12% patients stated they were not ready to drive. Conclusion BRT returned to baseline in most patients by the 2nd week postoperative and in all patients by the 4th week. Patient perception of driving ability can predict return of BRT. These findings have allowed us to encourage patients to reevaluate their driving ability between the 2nd and 4th postoperative weeks after TKA.

AB - Background Advances in surgical technique and pain management have changed total knee arthroplasty (TKA). How soon after TKA are patients able to return to driving is a common question. Most surgeons prescribe 6-8 weeks postoperative based on old literature. Our hypothesis is that patient who undergoes TKA with contemporary techniques will return to their baseline before the 6th postoperative week. Methods After institutional review board approval, 50 patients with right TKA were prospectively evaluated. All patients underwent a preoperative brake reaction time (BRT), 2, 4, and 6 weeks postoperative. At each testing, we ask them if they felt that they were ready to drive. Results Forty-seven patients completed the study protocol. Mean preoperative BRT was 0.692 seconds. At 2 weeks postoperative, the BRT was 0.631 seconds. Thirty-nine patients (80%) reached their baseline by 2 weeks, and the remaining 10 (20%) reached it at 4 weeks postoperative. Confounding variables revealed no differences between groups. From the group that returned to baseline at 2 weeks, 67% patients stated they felt they were ready to drive, 21% patients said they were not sure, and 12% patients stated they were not ready to drive. Conclusion BRT returned to baseline in most patients by the 2nd week postoperative and in all patients by the 4th week. Patient perception of driving ability can predict return of BRT. These findings have allowed us to encourage patients to reevaluate their driving ability between the 2nd and 4th postoperative weeks after TKA.

KW - driving

KW - knee outcomes

KW - outcomes

KW - recovery

KW - total knee arthroplasty

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84992437557&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84992437557&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.arth.2016.04.027

DO - 10.1016/j.arth.2016.04.027

M3 - Article

C2 - 27494986

AN - SCOPUS:84992437557

VL - 31

SP - 2495

EP - 2498

JO - Journal of Arthroplasty

JF - Journal of Arthroplasty

SN - 0883-5403

IS - 11

ER -