When is it safe for patients to drive after right total hip arthroplasty?

Victor Hernandez, Alvin Ong, Fabio Orozco, Anne M. Madden, Zachary Post

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

13 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Old studies recommend 6. weeks post-operative before patients can return to driving safely. This is a prospective study assessing brake reaction time (BRT) after THA. 38 patients underwent a pre-operative, 2, 4 and 6. weeks post-operative BRT test. General linear repeated measurement was used. The mean pre-operative reaction time was 0.635 ± 0.160. seconds SD and 2-week was 0.576 ± 0.137. seconds SD (P = 0.029); 33 patients (87%) were able to reach their baseline time by 2. weeks. The remaining five patients (13%) reached their baseline at the 4-week post-operative. No differences were found with respect to age, gender, and the use of assistive devices. With new techniques in THA, most of patients return to normal times within the 2-week.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)627-630
Number of pages4
JournalJournal of Arthroplasty
Volume30
Issue number4
DOIs
StatePublished - Apr 1 2015
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Arthroplasty
Hip
Tacrine
Self-Help Devices
Operative Time
Prospective Studies

Keywords

  • Brake reaction time
  • Drive
  • Driving
  • Outcomes
  • Total hip arthroplasty
  • Total hip replacement

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Orthopedics and Sports Medicine
  • Medicine(all)

Cite this

When is it safe for patients to drive after right total hip arthroplasty? / Hernandez, Victor; Ong, Alvin; Orozco, Fabio; Madden, Anne M.; Post, Zachary.

In: Journal of Arthroplasty, Vol. 30, No. 4, 01.04.2015, p. 627-630.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Hernandez, Victor ; Ong, Alvin ; Orozco, Fabio ; Madden, Anne M. ; Post, Zachary. / When is it safe for patients to drive after right total hip arthroplasty?. In: Journal of Arthroplasty. 2015 ; Vol. 30, No. 4. pp. 627-630.
@article{c646c77c3b8d43cf8e9fa36381fd171c,
title = "When is it safe for patients to drive after right total hip arthroplasty?",
abstract = "Old studies recommend 6. weeks post-operative before patients can return to driving safely. This is a prospective study assessing brake reaction time (BRT) after THA. 38 patients underwent a pre-operative, 2, 4 and 6. weeks post-operative BRT test. General linear repeated measurement was used. The mean pre-operative reaction time was 0.635 ± 0.160. seconds SD and 2-week was 0.576 ± 0.137. seconds SD (P = 0.029); 33 patients (87{\%}) were able to reach their baseline time by 2. weeks. The remaining five patients (13{\%}) reached their baseline at the 4-week post-operative. No differences were found with respect to age, gender, and the use of assistive devices. With new techniques in THA, most of patients return to normal times within the 2-week.",
keywords = "Brake reaction time, Drive, Driving, Outcomes, Total hip arthroplasty, Total hip replacement",
author = "Victor Hernandez and Alvin Ong and Fabio Orozco and Madden, {Anne M.} and Zachary Post",
year = "2015",
month = "4",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1016/j.arth.2014.11.015",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "30",
pages = "627--630",
journal = "Journal of Arthroplasty",
issn = "0883-5403",
publisher = "Churchill Livingstone",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - When is it safe for patients to drive after right total hip arthroplasty?

AU - Hernandez, Victor

AU - Ong, Alvin

AU - Orozco, Fabio

AU - Madden, Anne M.

AU - Post, Zachary

PY - 2015/4/1

Y1 - 2015/4/1

N2 - Old studies recommend 6. weeks post-operative before patients can return to driving safely. This is a prospective study assessing brake reaction time (BRT) after THA. 38 patients underwent a pre-operative, 2, 4 and 6. weeks post-operative BRT test. General linear repeated measurement was used. The mean pre-operative reaction time was 0.635 ± 0.160. seconds SD and 2-week was 0.576 ± 0.137. seconds SD (P = 0.029); 33 patients (87%) were able to reach their baseline time by 2. weeks. The remaining five patients (13%) reached their baseline at the 4-week post-operative. No differences were found with respect to age, gender, and the use of assistive devices. With new techniques in THA, most of patients return to normal times within the 2-week.

AB - Old studies recommend 6. weeks post-operative before patients can return to driving safely. This is a prospective study assessing brake reaction time (BRT) after THA. 38 patients underwent a pre-operative, 2, 4 and 6. weeks post-operative BRT test. General linear repeated measurement was used. The mean pre-operative reaction time was 0.635 ± 0.160. seconds SD and 2-week was 0.576 ± 0.137. seconds SD (P = 0.029); 33 patients (87%) were able to reach their baseline time by 2. weeks. The remaining five patients (13%) reached their baseline at the 4-week post-operative. No differences were found with respect to age, gender, and the use of assistive devices. With new techniques in THA, most of patients return to normal times within the 2-week.

KW - Brake reaction time

KW - Drive

KW - Driving

KW - Outcomes

KW - Total hip arthroplasty

KW - Total hip replacement

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84928368251&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84928368251&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.arth.2014.11.015

DO - 10.1016/j.arth.2014.11.015

M3 - Article

C2 - 25499170

AN - SCOPUS:84928368251

VL - 30

SP - 627

EP - 630

JO - Journal of Arthroplasty

JF - Journal of Arthroplasty

SN - 0883-5403

IS - 4

ER -