Ingestion of foreign bodies, either intentionally or accidentally, is quite common. The authors report an unusual case in which a 32-year-old man deliberately assembled a large metallic aggregate in his stomach by swallowing magnets and coins in order to relieve epigastric discomfort. The collection was retrieved by laparotomy and gastrotomy; a gastric ulcer was also found and it was oversewn. Management of this patient is discussed and the principles of treatment for ingested foreign bodies are reviewed.
|Original language||English (US)|
|Number of pages||5|
|Journal||Canadian Journal of Surgery|
|State||Published - Jan 1 1988|
ASJC Scopus subject areas