The selective value of computed tomography of the brain in cerebritis due to systemic lupus erythematosus

N. B. Gaylis, Roy D Altman, S. Ostrov, Robert Quencer

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

40 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and steroid effects on the brain were measured by computed tomography (CT). Of 14 patients with SLE cerebritis, 10 (71%) had marked cortical atrophy and 4 (29%) minimal atrophy. None were normal by CT. Controls included 22 patients with SLE without cerebritis receiving corticosteroids; this group had normal CT scans in 16 (73%) and minimal cortical atrophy in the remaining 6 (27%). Follow-up CT on 5 patients with cerebritis was unchanged. CT of the brain is a minimally invasive technique for documenting SLE cerebritis. CT may also help differentiate cerebritis from the neuropsychiatric side effects of corticosteroids.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)850-854
Number of pages5
JournalJournal of Rheumatology
Volume9
Issue number6
StatePublished - Dec 1 1982

Fingerprint

Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
Tomography
Brain
Atrophy
Adrenal Cortex Hormones
Steroids

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Immunology
  • Rheumatology

Cite this

The selective value of computed tomography of the brain in cerebritis due to systemic lupus erythematosus. / Gaylis, N. B.; Altman, Roy D; Ostrov, S.; Quencer, Robert.

In: Journal of Rheumatology, Vol. 9, No. 6, 01.12.1982, p. 850-854.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{f76f1344b8f44d8e8c5d503bc053994f,
title = "The selective value of computed tomography of the brain in cerebritis due to systemic lupus erythematosus",
abstract = "Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and steroid effects on the brain were measured by computed tomography (CT). Of 14 patients with SLE cerebritis, 10 (71{\%}) had marked cortical atrophy and 4 (29{\%}) minimal atrophy. None were normal by CT. Controls included 22 patients with SLE without cerebritis receiving corticosteroids; this group had normal CT scans in 16 (73{\%}) and minimal cortical atrophy in the remaining 6 (27{\%}). Follow-up CT on 5 patients with cerebritis was unchanged. CT of the brain is a minimally invasive technique for documenting SLE cerebritis. CT may also help differentiate cerebritis from the neuropsychiatric side effects of corticosteroids.",
author = "Gaylis, {N. B.} and Altman, {Roy D} and S. Ostrov and Robert Quencer",
year = "1982",
month = "12",
day = "1",
language = "English",
volume = "9",
pages = "850--854",
journal = "Journal of Rheumatology",
issn = "0315-162X",
publisher = "Journal of Rheumatology",
number = "6",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - The selective value of computed tomography of the brain in cerebritis due to systemic lupus erythematosus

AU - Gaylis, N. B.

AU - Altman, Roy D

AU - Ostrov, S.

AU - Quencer, Robert

PY - 1982/12/1

Y1 - 1982/12/1

N2 - Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and steroid effects on the brain were measured by computed tomography (CT). Of 14 patients with SLE cerebritis, 10 (71%) had marked cortical atrophy and 4 (29%) minimal atrophy. None were normal by CT. Controls included 22 patients with SLE without cerebritis receiving corticosteroids; this group had normal CT scans in 16 (73%) and minimal cortical atrophy in the remaining 6 (27%). Follow-up CT on 5 patients with cerebritis was unchanged. CT of the brain is a minimally invasive technique for documenting SLE cerebritis. CT may also help differentiate cerebritis from the neuropsychiatric side effects of corticosteroids.

AB - Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and steroid effects on the brain were measured by computed tomography (CT). Of 14 patients with SLE cerebritis, 10 (71%) had marked cortical atrophy and 4 (29%) minimal atrophy. None were normal by CT. Controls included 22 patients with SLE without cerebritis receiving corticosteroids; this group had normal CT scans in 16 (73%) and minimal cortical atrophy in the remaining 6 (27%). Follow-up CT on 5 patients with cerebritis was unchanged. CT of the brain is a minimally invasive technique for documenting SLE cerebritis. CT may also help differentiate cerebritis from the neuropsychiatric side effects of corticosteroids.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0020261544&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0020261544&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 7161775

AN - SCOPUS:0020261544

VL - 9

SP - 850

EP - 854

JO - Journal of Rheumatology

JF - Journal of Rheumatology

SN - 0315-162X

IS - 6

ER -