Surgically treated pediatric nonpapillary thyroid carcinoma

Samuel Golpanian, Jun Tashiro, Juan E Sola, Casey Allen, John Lew, Anthony Richard Hogan, Holly Neville, Eduardo Perez

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

4 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Introduction This study aims to update outcomes and predictors of survival on pediatric thyroid carcinoma, specifically examining pediatric patients with nonpapillary thyroid carcinoma who underwent surgical resection. Methods Surveillance, epidemiology, and end results database were searched for pediatric cases (< 20 years old) of surgically treated nonpapillary thyroid carcinoma diagnosed from 1973 to 2011. Demographics, clinical characteristics, and survival outcomes were analyzed using standard statistical methods. All follicular, medullary, Hürthle-cell, and nonencapsulated sclerosing carcinoma types were included. Results A total of 493 cases were identified. The overall incidence was 0.096/100,000 persons per year. The mean age at diagnosis was 15 years and highest incidence was found in whites, females, and patients aged 15 to 19 years. Most patients had localized (60%) or regional disease (35%) and only 38% received radiation (any type). Subtotal/total thyroidectomy was the most common procedure performed (83%) and 47% had lymph node sampling. The most common histologies were follicular (54%) and medullary (28%). Most tumors were > 2cm in size (63%). Overall 30-year survival was 91% but higher for females (94%, p = 0.02) and for local disease (92%). Disease-specific survival was highest for those with no lymph node sampling and negative lymph nodes. On multivariate analysis for medullary type only stage was an independent prognostic indicator of survival. Gender, age, tumor size, histology, and disease extent were not associated with an increased risk of mortality. Conclusions Incidence of pediatric nonpapillary thyroid cancer is low. Females have a higher incidence but similar survival to males. Stage is the only independent prognostic indicator of survival for patients with medullary thyroid cancer.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)524-532
Number of pages9
JournalEuropean Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Volume26
Issue number6
DOIs
StatePublished - Dec 1 2016

Fingerprint

Thyroid Neoplasms
Pediatrics
Survival
Lymph Nodes
Incidence
Histology
Epidemiology
Multivariate Analysis
Databases
Mortality
Neoplasms

Keywords

  • nonpapillary thyroid carcinoma
  • outcome predictors
  • pediatric
  • survival

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Pediatrics, Perinatology, and Child Health
  • Surgery

Cite this

Surgically treated pediatric nonpapillary thyroid carcinoma. / Golpanian, Samuel; Tashiro, Jun; Sola, Juan E; Allen, Casey; Lew, John; Hogan, Anthony Richard; Neville, Holly; Perez, Eduardo.

In: European Journal of Pediatric Surgery, Vol. 26, No. 6, 01.12.2016, p. 524-532.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{b050ec253cd6437ca90aa7fd329870e4,
title = "Surgically treated pediatric nonpapillary thyroid carcinoma",
abstract = "Introduction This study aims to update outcomes and predictors of survival on pediatric thyroid carcinoma, specifically examining pediatric patients with nonpapillary thyroid carcinoma who underwent surgical resection. Methods Surveillance, epidemiology, and end results database were searched for pediatric cases (< 20 years old) of surgically treated nonpapillary thyroid carcinoma diagnosed from 1973 to 2011. Demographics, clinical characteristics, and survival outcomes were analyzed using standard statistical methods. All follicular, medullary, H{\"u}rthle-cell, and nonencapsulated sclerosing carcinoma types were included. Results A total of 493 cases were identified. The overall incidence was 0.096/100,000 persons per year. The mean age at diagnosis was 15 years and highest incidence was found in whites, females, and patients aged 15 to 19 years. Most patients had localized (60{\%}) or regional disease (35{\%}) and only 38{\%} received radiation (any type). Subtotal/total thyroidectomy was the most common procedure performed (83{\%}) and 47{\%} had lymph node sampling. The most common histologies were follicular (54{\%}) and medullary (28{\%}). Most tumors were > 2cm in size (63{\%}). Overall 30-year survival was 91{\%} but higher for females (94{\%}, p = 0.02) and for local disease (92{\%}). Disease-specific survival was highest for those with no lymph node sampling and negative lymph nodes. On multivariate analysis for medullary type only stage was an independent prognostic indicator of survival. Gender, age, tumor size, histology, and disease extent were not associated with an increased risk of mortality. Conclusions Incidence of pediatric nonpapillary thyroid cancer is low. Females have a higher incidence but similar survival to males. Stage is the only independent prognostic indicator of survival for patients with medullary thyroid cancer.",
keywords = "nonpapillary thyroid carcinoma, outcome predictors, pediatric, survival",
author = "Samuel Golpanian and Jun Tashiro and Sola, {Juan E} and Casey Allen and John Lew and Hogan, {Anthony Richard} and Holly Neville and Eduardo Perez",
year = "2016",
month = "12",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1055/s-0035-1569150",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "26",
pages = "524--532",
journal = "European Journal of Pediatric Surgery",
issn = "0939-7248",
publisher = "Thieme Medical Publishers",
number = "6",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Surgically treated pediatric nonpapillary thyroid carcinoma

AU - Golpanian, Samuel

AU - Tashiro, Jun

AU - Sola, Juan E

AU - Allen, Casey

AU - Lew, John

AU - Hogan, Anthony Richard

AU - Neville, Holly

AU - Perez, Eduardo

PY - 2016/12/1

Y1 - 2016/12/1

N2 - Introduction This study aims to update outcomes and predictors of survival on pediatric thyroid carcinoma, specifically examining pediatric patients with nonpapillary thyroid carcinoma who underwent surgical resection. Methods Surveillance, epidemiology, and end results database were searched for pediatric cases (< 20 years old) of surgically treated nonpapillary thyroid carcinoma diagnosed from 1973 to 2011. Demographics, clinical characteristics, and survival outcomes were analyzed using standard statistical methods. All follicular, medullary, Hürthle-cell, and nonencapsulated sclerosing carcinoma types were included. Results A total of 493 cases were identified. The overall incidence was 0.096/100,000 persons per year. The mean age at diagnosis was 15 years and highest incidence was found in whites, females, and patients aged 15 to 19 years. Most patients had localized (60%) or regional disease (35%) and only 38% received radiation (any type). Subtotal/total thyroidectomy was the most common procedure performed (83%) and 47% had lymph node sampling. The most common histologies were follicular (54%) and medullary (28%). Most tumors were > 2cm in size (63%). Overall 30-year survival was 91% but higher for females (94%, p = 0.02) and for local disease (92%). Disease-specific survival was highest for those with no lymph node sampling and negative lymph nodes. On multivariate analysis for medullary type only stage was an independent prognostic indicator of survival. Gender, age, tumor size, histology, and disease extent were not associated with an increased risk of mortality. Conclusions Incidence of pediatric nonpapillary thyroid cancer is low. Females have a higher incidence but similar survival to males. Stage is the only independent prognostic indicator of survival for patients with medullary thyroid cancer.

AB - Introduction This study aims to update outcomes and predictors of survival on pediatric thyroid carcinoma, specifically examining pediatric patients with nonpapillary thyroid carcinoma who underwent surgical resection. Methods Surveillance, epidemiology, and end results database were searched for pediatric cases (< 20 years old) of surgically treated nonpapillary thyroid carcinoma diagnosed from 1973 to 2011. Demographics, clinical characteristics, and survival outcomes were analyzed using standard statistical methods. All follicular, medullary, Hürthle-cell, and nonencapsulated sclerosing carcinoma types were included. Results A total of 493 cases were identified. The overall incidence was 0.096/100,000 persons per year. The mean age at diagnosis was 15 years and highest incidence was found in whites, females, and patients aged 15 to 19 years. Most patients had localized (60%) or regional disease (35%) and only 38% received radiation (any type). Subtotal/total thyroidectomy was the most common procedure performed (83%) and 47% had lymph node sampling. The most common histologies were follicular (54%) and medullary (28%). Most tumors were > 2cm in size (63%). Overall 30-year survival was 91% but higher for females (94%, p = 0.02) and for local disease (92%). Disease-specific survival was highest for those with no lymph node sampling and negative lymph nodes. On multivariate analysis for medullary type only stage was an independent prognostic indicator of survival. Gender, age, tumor size, histology, and disease extent were not associated with an increased risk of mortality. Conclusions Incidence of pediatric nonpapillary thyroid cancer is low. Females have a higher incidence but similar survival to males. Stage is the only independent prognostic indicator of survival for patients with medullary thyroid cancer.

KW - nonpapillary thyroid carcinoma

KW - outcome predictors

KW - pediatric

KW - survival

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84996482984&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84996482984&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1055/s-0035-1569150

DO - 10.1055/s-0035-1569150

M3 - Article

VL - 26

SP - 524

EP - 532

JO - European Journal of Pediatric Surgery

JF - European Journal of Pediatric Surgery

SN - 0939-7248

IS - 6

ER -