Stapedectomy in children

Antonio De La Cruz, Simon I Angeli, William H. Slattery

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

42 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Stapes surgery for correction of conductive hearing loss in adults with otosclerosis is a well-established procedure. Its effectiveness in children, however, has received less scrutiny in the literature. Previous studies from our and other institutions demonstrated similar results in children and adults. Between 1980 and 1994 stapedectomies were done on 95 ears of 81 patients younger than 18 years (83 primary and 12 revisions). Data regarding age of onset, family history, associated anomalies, surgical findings, technique, hearing results, and complications were reviewed. Two groups were identified: congenital stapedial fixation and juvenile otosclerosis. Patients with congenital stapedial fixation had an earlier onset of hearing loss (3 vs 10 years, P < 0.001), a greater incidence of abnormalities of the malleus and incus (25% vs 3%, P < 0.001), and a slightly greater preoperative air-bone gap (35.2 ± 12.9 vs 27.8 ± 8.9, P = 0.002). Patients with otosclerosis had a greater frequency of a positive family history of deafness (53% vs 10%, P < 0.001). Overall, 79% of primary cases and 89% of revision cases had an improvement in hearing with mean postoperative air-bone gaps of 15 dB and 22 dB, respectively. The gap did not widen significantly during the entire length of follow-u p (mean 72 months). In primary cases, 59.1% obtained a postoperative air-bone gap of 10 dB or less. Eighty-two percent of children operated on for otosclerosis obtained excellent results (postoperative air- bone gap ≤ 10 dB), compared with only 44% of children with congenital stapedial ankylosis (P = 0.02). In revision surgery, 29% of children obtained excellent results. Poorer results in both cases of congenital stapedial fixation and revision stapedectomy appear to be related to the greater incidence of associated anomalies of the malleus and incus. Indications, technique, complications, and considerations pertinent to childhood stapedectomy are discussed.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)487-492
Number of pages6
JournalOtolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Volume120
Issue number4
DOIs
StatePublished - Apr 19 1999
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Stapes Surgery
Otosclerosis
Air
Malleus
Incus
Bone and Bones
Hearing
Correction of Hearing Impairment
Conductive Hearing Loss
Ankylosis
Incidence
Deafness
Reoperation
Hearing Loss
Age of Onset
Ear

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Otorhinolaryngology

Cite this

Stapedectomy in children. / De La Cruz, Antonio; Angeli, Simon I; Slattery, William H.

In: Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, Vol. 120, No. 4, 19.04.1999, p. 487-492.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

De La Cruz, Antonio ; Angeli, Simon I ; Slattery, William H. / Stapedectomy in children. In: Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery. 1999 ; Vol. 120, No. 4. pp. 487-492.
@article{bbc4f2dacafa44e38326cafcf4c64eb7,
title = "Stapedectomy in children",
abstract = "Stapes surgery for correction of conductive hearing loss in adults with otosclerosis is a well-established procedure. Its effectiveness in children, however, has received less scrutiny in the literature. Previous studies from our and other institutions demonstrated similar results in children and adults. Between 1980 and 1994 stapedectomies were done on 95 ears of 81 patients younger than 18 years (83 primary and 12 revisions). Data regarding age of onset, family history, associated anomalies, surgical findings, technique, hearing results, and complications were reviewed. Two groups were identified: congenital stapedial fixation and juvenile otosclerosis. Patients with congenital stapedial fixation had an earlier onset of hearing loss (3 vs 10 years, P < 0.001), a greater incidence of abnormalities of the malleus and incus (25{\%} vs 3{\%}, P < 0.001), and a slightly greater preoperative air-bone gap (35.2 ± 12.9 vs 27.8 ± 8.9, P = 0.002). Patients with otosclerosis had a greater frequency of a positive family history of deafness (53{\%} vs 10{\%}, P < 0.001). Overall, 79{\%} of primary cases and 89{\%} of revision cases had an improvement in hearing with mean postoperative air-bone gaps of 15 dB and 22 dB, respectively. The gap did not widen significantly during the entire length of follow-u p (mean 72 months). In primary cases, 59.1{\%} obtained a postoperative air-bone gap of 10 dB or less. Eighty-two percent of children operated on for otosclerosis obtained excellent results (postoperative air- bone gap ≤ 10 dB), compared with only 44{\%} of children with congenital stapedial ankylosis (P = 0.02). In revision surgery, 29{\%} of children obtained excellent results. Poorer results in both cases of congenital stapedial fixation and revision stapedectomy appear to be related to the greater incidence of associated anomalies of the malleus and incus. Indications, technique, complications, and considerations pertinent to childhood stapedectomy are discussed.",
author = "{De La Cruz}, Antonio and Angeli, {Simon I} and Slattery, {William H.}",
year = "1999",
month = "4",
day = "19",
doi = "10.1053/hn.1999.v120.a89626",
language = "English",
volume = "120",
pages = "487--492",
journal = "Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery (United States)",
issn = "0194-5998",
publisher = "Mosby Inc.",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Stapedectomy in children

AU - De La Cruz, Antonio

AU - Angeli, Simon I

AU - Slattery, William H.

PY - 1999/4/19

Y1 - 1999/4/19

N2 - Stapes surgery for correction of conductive hearing loss in adults with otosclerosis is a well-established procedure. Its effectiveness in children, however, has received less scrutiny in the literature. Previous studies from our and other institutions demonstrated similar results in children and adults. Between 1980 and 1994 stapedectomies were done on 95 ears of 81 patients younger than 18 years (83 primary and 12 revisions). Data regarding age of onset, family history, associated anomalies, surgical findings, technique, hearing results, and complications were reviewed. Two groups were identified: congenital stapedial fixation and juvenile otosclerosis. Patients with congenital stapedial fixation had an earlier onset of hearing loss (3 vs 10 years, P < 0.001), a greater incidence of abnormalities of the malleus and incus (25% vs 3%, P < 0.001), and a slightly greater preoperative air-bone gap (35.2 ± 12.9 vs 27.8 ± 8.9, P = 0.002). Patients with otosclerosis had a greater frequency of a positive family history of deafness (53% vs 10%, P < 0.001). Overall, 79% of primary cases and 89% of revision cases had an improvement in hearing with mean postoperative air-bone gaps of 15 dB and 22 dB, respectively. The gap did not widen significantly during the entire length of follow-u p (mean 72 months). In primary cases, 59.1% obtained a postoperative air-bone gap of 10 dB or less. Eighty-two percent of children operated on for otosclerosis obtained excellent results (postoperative air- bone gap ≤ 10 dB), compared with only 44% of children with congenital stapedial ankylosis (P = 0.02). In revision surgery, 29% of children obtained excellent results. Poorer results in both cases of congenital stapedial fixation and revision stapedectomy appear to be related to the greater incidence of associated anomalies of the malleus and incus. Indications, technique, complications, and considerations pertinent to childhood stapedectomy are discussed.

AB - Stapes surgery for correction of conductive hearing loss in adults with otosclerosis is a well-established procedure. Its effectiveness in children, however, has received less scrutiny in the literature. Previous studies from our and other institutions demonstrated similar results in children and adults. Between 1980 and 1994 stapedectomies were done on 95 ears of 81 patients younger than 18 years (83 primary and 12 revisions). Data regarding age of onset, family history, associated anomalies, surgical findings, technique, hearing results, and complications were reviewed. Two groups were identified: congenital stapedial fixation and juvenile otosclerosis. Patients with congenital stapedial fixation had an earlier onset of hearing loss (3 vs 10 years, P < 0.001), a greater incidence of abnormalities of the malleus and incus (25% vs 3%, P < 0.001), and a slightly greater preoperative air-bone gap (35.2 ± 12.9 vs 27.8 ± 8.9, P = 0.002). Patients with otosclerosis had a greater frequency of a positive family history of deafness (53% vs 10%, P < 0.001). Overall, 79% of primary cases and 89% of revision cases had an improvement in hearing with mean postoperative air-bone gaps of 15 dB and 22 dB, respectively. The gap did not widen significantly during the entire length of follow-u p (mean 72 months). In primary cases, 59.1% obtained a postoperative air-bone gap of 10 dB or less. Eighty-two percent of children operated on for otosclerosis obtained excellent results (postoperative air- bone gap ≤ 10 dB), compared with only 44% of children with congenital stapedial ankylosis (P = 0.02). In revision surgery, 29% of children obtained excellent results. Poorer results in both cases of congenital stapedial fixation and revision stapedectomy appear to be related to the greater incidence of associated anomalies of the malleus and incus. Indications, technique, complications, and considerations pertinent to childhood stapedectomy are discussed.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0032893736&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0032893736&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1053/hn.1999.v120.a89626

DO - 10.1053/hn.1999.v120.a89626

M3 - Article

C2 - 10187939

AN - SCOPUS:0032893736

VL - 120

SP - 487

EP - 492

JO - Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery (United States)

JF - Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery (United States)

SN - 0194-5998

IS - 4

ER -