Singleton term breech deliveries in nulliparous and multiparous women: A 5-year experience at The University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital

Makbib Diro, Apithan Puangsricharern, Luis Royer, Mary Jo O'Sullivan, Gene Burkett

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

38 Scopus citations

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: The purpose of this retrospective study was to evaluate the feasibility of planned vaginal delivery, the maternal morbidity and mortality, and the short-term perinatal outcome in selected multiethnic women at term with singleton breech presentations. STUDY DESIGN: Singleton breech deliveries were identified from the delivery database between January 1, 1989, and December 31, 1993. A retrospective chart review identified 310 nulliparous and 711 multiparous women at term (37-42 weeks) for a total of 1021. Parameters studied included the success rate of planned vaginal deliveries and the incidences of maternal morbidity, perinatal morbidity, and mortality as a whole stratified by parity and mode of delivery. The Student t test, χ2 test, and Fisher exact test were used for statistical analysis. RESULTS: Among 1021 women with singleton fetuses in a breech position at term, 191 were candidates for vaginal delivery, and 135 (70.7%) of these deliveries were successful. By parity, 12.3% of 310 nulliparous women and 21.5% of 711 multiparous women were candidates for vaginal delivery; 50% of the former and 75.8% of the latter underwent vaginal delivery. Maternal morbidity was more commonly associated with multiparity and cesarean delivery. Newborn intensive care admissions were equally distributed by parity, and significantly more were for vaginal than cesarean deliveries (17.4% vs 10.8%, P= .036). Premature rupture of the membranes complicated deliveries in 23.9% of the nulliparous women and only 6.5% of the multiparous women (P = .000). CONCLUSION: In this multiethnic population 70.7% of candidates selected for attempted vaginal breech delivery at term were successful. The remaining 29.3% underwent cesarean delivery for labor disorders or non-reassuring fetal heart rate patterns.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)247-252
Number of pages6
JournalAmerican journal of obstetrics and gynecology
Volume181
Issue number2
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 1 1999

Keywords

  • Birth injury
  • Breech delivery
  • Cesarean delivery
  • Management of term breeches
  • Perinatal mortality and morbidity

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Medicine(all)
  • Obstetrics and Gynecology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Singleton term breech deliveries in nulliparous and multiparous women: A 5-year experience at The University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this