Seasonality of Dissolved Organic Carbon in the Upper Northeast Pacific Ocean

Mariana B. Bif, Dennis A. Hansell

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

1 Citation (Scopus)

Abstract

From seasonal cruises in the NE Pacific Ocean during 2017, we (1) determined dissolved organic carbon concentrations; (2) calculated net community production (NCP) from nitrate drawdown; and (3) established relationships between NCP and seasonal dissolved organic carbon (DOC) accumulation in the upper 75 m. The fraction of NCP that accumulated as DOC, hereafter referred to as the net dissolved production ratio, was calculated for several stations during spring and summer. The net dissolved production ratio was about 0.26 at the oceanic station Ocean Station Papa during different seasons and years. Using nitrate concentration profiles obtained from Bio-Argo floats during 2009–2018 operating near Ocean Station Papa, we calculated NCP at high temporal resolution and then applied the 0.26 constant in order to (4) estimate DOC variability for the 9-year period. We found strong seasonality near Ocean Station Papa, with NCP maxima during summers ranging from 0.3 to 2.9 mol C/m 2 and surface DOC concentrations estimated from 56 μmol/kg in winters to 73 μmol/kg in summers. There was a 10-fold interannual variability in the seasonally accumulated inventory of DOC, ranging from 0.078 to 0.75 mol C/m 2 . This study reinforces the value of deploying floats equipped with chemical sensors in order to better understand marine biogeochemical cycles, especially when high resolution data cannot be obtained otherwise. Given that ~26% of NCP accumulates as DOC in the central Gulf of Alaska, the remaining balance of ~74% is available for export as sinking biogenic particles.

Original languageEnglish (US)
JournalGlobal Biogeochemical Cycles
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 1 2019

Fingerprint

Organic carbon
dissolved organic carbon
seasonality
ocean
Nitrates
summer
nitrate
Argo
biogeochemical cycle
drawdown
Chemical sensors
station
sensor
fold
winter

Keywords

  • dissolved organic matter (DOM)
  • DOC
  • Line P
  • marine biogeochemistry
  • net community production
  • Ocean Station Papa

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Global and Planetary Change
  • Environmental Chemistry
  • Environmental Science(all)
  • Atmospheric Science

Cite this

Seasonality of Dissolved Organic Carbon in the Upper Northeast Pacific Ocean. / Bif, Mariana B.; Hansell, Dennis A.

In: Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 01.01.2019.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{650ae47413f34e94be23bf9a4b7d274b,
title = "Seasonality of Dissolved Organic Carbon in the Upper Northeast Pacific Ocean",
abstract = "From seasonal cruises in the NE Pacific Ocean during 2017, we (1) determined dissolved organic carbon concentrations; (2) calculated net community production (NCP) from nitrate drawdown; and (3) established relationships between NCP and seasonal dissolved organic carbon (DOC) accumulation in the upper 75 m. The fraction of NCP that accumulated as DOC, hereafter referred to as the net dissolved production ratio, was calculated for several stations during spring and summer. The net dissolved production ratio was about 0.26 at the oceanic station Ocean Station Papa during different seasons and years. Using nitrate concentration profiles obtained from Bio-Argo floats during 2009–2018 operating near Ocean Station Papa, we calculated NCP at high temporal resolution and then applied the 0.26 constant in order to (4) estimate DOC variability for the 9-year period. We found strong seasonality near Ocean Station Papa, with NCP maxima during summers ranging from 0.3 to 2.9 mol C/m 2 and surface DOC concentrations estimated from 56 μmol/kg in winters to 73 μmol/kg in summers. There was a 10-fold interannual variability in the seasonally accumulated inventory of DOC, ranging from 0.078 to 0.75 mol C/m 2 . This study reinforces the value of deploying floats equipped with chemical sensors in order to better understand marine biogeochemical cycles, especially when high resolution data cannot be obtained otherwise. Given that ~26{\%} of NCP accumulates as DOC in the central Gulf of Alaska, the remaining balance of ~74{\%} is available for export as sinking biogenic particles.",
keywords = "dissolved organic matter (DOM), DOC, Line P, marine biogeochemistry, net community production, Ocean Station Papa",
author = "Bif, {Mariana B.} and Hansell, {Dennis A.}",
year = "2019",
month = "1",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1029/2018GB006152",
language = "English (US)",
journal = "Global Biogeochemical Cycles",
issn = "0886-6236",
publisher = "American Geophysical Union",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Seasonality of Dissolved Organic Carbon in the Upper Northeast Pacific Ocean

AU - Bif, Mariana B.

AU - Hansell, Dennis A.

PY - 2019/1/1

Y1 - 2019/1/1

N2 - From seasonal cruises in the NE Pacific Ocean during 2017, we (1) determined dissolved organic carbon concentrations; (2) calculated net community production (NCP) from nitrate drawdown; and (3) established relationships between NCP and seasonal dissolved organic carbon (DOC) accumulation in the upper 75 m. The fraction of NCP that accumulated as DOC, hereafter referred to as the net dissolved production ratio, was calculated for several stations during spring and summer. The net dissolved production ratio was about 0.26 at the oceanic station Ocean Station Papa during different seasons and years. Using nitrate concentration profiles obtained from Bio-Argo floats during 2009–2018 operating near Ocean Station Papa, we calculated NCP at high temporal resolution and then applied the 0.26 constant in order to (4) estimate DOC variability for the 9-year period. We found strong seasonality near Ocean Station Papa, with NCP maxima during summers ranging from 0.3 to 2.9 mol C/m 2 and surface DOC concentrations estimated from 56 μmol/kg in winters to 73 μmol/kg in summers. There was a 10-fold interannual variability in the seasonally accumulated inventory of DOC, ranging from 0.078 to 0.75 mol C/m 2 . This study reinforces the value of deploying floats equipped with chemical sensors in order to better understand marine biogeochemical cycles, especially when high resolution data cannot be obtained otherwise. Given that ~26% of NCP accumulates as DOC in the central Gulf of Alaska, the remaining balance of ~74% is available for export as sinking biogenic particles.

AB - From seasonal cruises in the NE Pacific Ocean during 2017, we (1) determined dissolved organic carbon concentrations; (2) calculated net community production (NCP) from nitrate drawdown; and (3) established relationships between NCP and seasonal dissolved organic carbon (DOC) accumulation in the upper 75 m. The fraction of NCP that accumulated as DOC, hereafter referred to as the net dissolved production ratio, was calculated for several stations during spring and summer. The net dissolved production ratio was about 0.26 at the oceanic station Ocean Station Papa during different seasons and years. Using nitrate concentration profiles obtained from Bio-Argo floats during 2009–2018 operating near Ocean Station Papa, we calculated NCP at high temporal resolution and then applied the 0.26 constant in order to (4) estimate DOC variability for the 9-year period. We found strong seasonality near Ocean Station Papa, with NCP maxima during summers ranging from 0.3 to 2.9 mol C/m 2 and surface DOC concentrations estimated from 56 μmol/kg in winters to 73 μmol/kg in summers. There was a 10-fold interannual variability in the seasonally accumulated inventory of DOC, ranging from 0.078 to 0.75 mol C/m 2 . This study reinforces the value of deploying floats equipped with chemical sensors in order to better understand marine biogeochemical cycles, especially when high resolution data cannot be obtained otherwise. Given that ~26% of NCP accumulates as DOC in the central Gulf of Alaska, the remaining balance of ~74% is available for export as sinking biogenic particles.

KW - dissolved organic matter (DOM)

KW - DOC

KW - Line P

KW - marine biogeochemistry

KW - net community production

KW - Ocean Station Papa

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85065441158&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85065441158&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1029/2018GB006152

DO - 10.1029/2018GB006152

M3 - Article

AN - SCOPUS:85065441158

JO - Global Biogeochemical Cycles

JF - Global Biogeochemical Cycles

SN - 0886-6236

ER -