Repetitive transarterial chemoembolization (TACE) of liver metastases from renal cell carcinoma: Local control and survival results

Mohamed Nabil, Tatjana Gruber, Danny Yakoub, Hanns Ackermann, Stephan Zangos, Thomas J. Vogl

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

21 Scopus citations

Abstract

The purpose was to evaluate the effectiveness of transarterial chemoembolization (TACE) in local tumor control and survival in patients with hepatic metastases from renal cell carcinoma (RCC). Prospective evaluation of TACE treatment outcome in 22 patients recruited from 1999 and 2005 was performed. The chemotherapeutic agent used was mitomycin only in 45% of the patients and mitomycin together with gemcitabine in the other 55%. The embolizing materials used in all of the patients were iodized oil (lipiodol) and degradable starch microspheres. Local response was evaluated by MRI and judged according to Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors (RECIST). Mean and median survival and survival probability after diagnosis and treatment were both calculated by Kaplan-Meier method. Partial response was achieved in 13.7%, stable disease in 59% and progressive disease in 27.3% of patients. Survival time from the diagnosis of metastases ranged from 18 to 307 months and from 2.2 to 35 months from the start of TACE treatment. The median and mean survival times from the date of diagnosis were 68.6 and 102.9 months, respectively. The median and mean survival times from the start of TACE were 8.2 and 11.7 months, respectively. Survival probability from the start of treatment was 31% after 1 year and 6% after 2 years. TACE can result in a favorable local tumor response in patients with hepatic metastases from RCC, but survival results are still limited.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1456-1463
Number of pages8
JournalEuropean Radiology
Volume18
Issue number7
DOIs
StatePublished - Jul 1 2008
Externally publishedYes

Keywords

  • Carcinoma
  • Chemoembolization
  • Liver
  • Metastases
  • Renal
  • TACE

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Repetitive transarterial chemoembolization (TACE) of liver metastases from renal cell carcinoma: Local control and survival results'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this