Radioimmunoscintigraphy of recurrent, metastatic, or occult colorectal cancer with technetium Tc 99m 88BV59H21-2V67-66 (HumaSPECT®-Tc), a totally human monoclonal antibody

Patient management benefit from a phase III multicenter study

Bruce G. Wolff, John Bolton, Richard Baum, Alain Chetanneau, Alain Pecking, Aldo N Serafini, Alan J. Fischman, Herbert C. Hoover, Jerry L. Klein, Gordon E. Wynant, Ramaswamy Subramanian, Diana K. Goroff, Michael G. Hanna

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

15 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

PURPOSE: The study contained herein was undertaken to evaluate the accuracy of radiolabeled human monoclonal antibody, 88BV59H21-2V67-66 (88BV59 or HumaSPECT®-Tc), in predicting disease resectability in presurgical subjects with recurrent, metastatic, or occult colorectal carcinoma. METHODS: A total of 219 patients with disease visualized on computed tomographic scan (recurrent or metastatic disease) or with negative or equivocal computed tomographic scan and rising carcinoembryonic antigen serum levels (occult group) received technetium Tc 99m-labeled 88BV59 intravenously. Planar and single photon emission computed tomographic images were obtained 14 to 20 hours postinfusion, before surgery. The ability of computed tomographic and HumaSPECT®-Tc imaging to define the extent of disease and to predict resectability was evaluated based on surgical and histopathologic results. RESULTS: In patients with recurrent or metastatic disease (170 evaluable patients), the accuracy of predicting nonresectability of disease was significantly greater (P < 0.001) for HumaSPECT®-Tc than for computed tomography (60 vs. 29 percent). Computed tomography understaged 41 percent of patients believed to have resectable disease compared with 27 percent for HumaSPECT®-Tc (P < 0.001). In occult disease patients (29 computed tomographic and 28 HumaSPECT®-Tc evaluable patients), the overall accuracy of predicting resectability/nonresectability was 68 percent for HumaSPECT®- Tc compared with 24 percent for computed tomography. Administration of HumaSPECT®-Tc had no effect on monoclonal antibody-based in vitro diagnostic assays. Only a single patient demonstrated an anti-antibody response (90 ng/ml) at nine weeks postinfusion. CONCLUSION: HumaSPECT®-Tc was more accurate than computed tomography in determining disease resectability in patients with metastatic, recurrent, or occult cancer. The addition of HumaSPECT®-Tc imaging can play a significant role in patient management decisions.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)953-962
Number of pages10
JournalDiseases of the Colon and Rectum
Volume41
Issue number8
DOIs
StatePublished - Aug 1 1998

Fingerprint

Radioimmunodetection
Technetium
Multicenter Studies
Colorectal Neoplasms
Monoclonal Antibodies
Tomography
Carcinoembryonic Antigen
Photons
Antibody Formation
Anti-Idiotypic Antibodies

Keywords

  • 88BV59
  • Colorectal cancer
  • Human monoclonal antibody
  • HumaSPECT®-Tc
  • Monoclonal antibody imaging
  • Technetium

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Gastroenterology

Cite this

Radioimmunoscintigraphy of recurrent, metastatic, or occult colorectal cancer with technetium Tc 99m 88BV59H21-2V67-66 (HumaSPECT®-Tc), a totally human monoclonal antibody : Patient management benefit from a phase III multicenter study. / Wolff, Bruce G.; Bolton, John; Baum, Richard; Chetanneau, Alain; Pecking, Alain; Serafini, Aldo N; Fischman, Alan J.; Hoover, Herbert C.; Klein, Jerry L.; Wynant, Gordon E.; Subramanian, Ramaswamy; Goroff, Diana K.; Hanna, Michael G.

In: Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, Vol. 41, No. 8, 01.08.1998, p. 953-962.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Wolff, Bruce G. ; Bolton, John ; Baum, Richard ; Chetanneau, Alain ; Pecking, Alain ; Serafini, Aldo N ; Fischman, Alan J. ; Hoover, Herbert C. ; Klein, Jerry L. ; Wynant, Gordon E. ; Subramanian, Ramaswamy ; Goroff, Diana K. ; Hanna, Michael G. / Radioimmunoscintigraphy of recurrent, metastatic, or occult colorectal cancer with technetium Tc 99m 88BV59H21-2V67-66 (HumaSPECT®-Tc), a totally human monoclonal antibody : Patient management benefit from a phase III multicenter study. In: Diseases of the Colon and Rectum. 1998 ; Vol. 41, No. 8. pp. 953-962.
@article{a5e957db6bab4258ac224d7bc18e84d1,
title = "Radioimmunoscintigraphy of recurrent, metastatic, or occult colorectal cancer with technetium Tc 99m 88BV59H21-2V67-66 (HumaSPECT{\circledR}-Tc), a totally human monoclonal antibody: Patient management benefit from a phase III multicenter study",
abstract = "PURPOSE: The study contained herein was undertaken to evaluate the accuracy of radiolabeled human monoclonal antibody, 88BV59H21-2V67-66 (88BV59 or HumaSPECT{\circledR}-Tc), in predicting disease resectability in presurgical subjects with recurrent, metastatic, or occult colorectal carcinoma. METHODS: A total of 219 patients with disease visualized on computed tomographic scan (recurrent or metastatic disease) or with negative or equivocal computed tomographic scan and rising carcinoembryonic antigen serum levels (occult group) received technetium Tc 99m-labeled 88BV59 intravenously. Planar and single photon emission computed tomographic images were obtained 14 to 20 hours postinfusion, before surgery. The ability of computed tomographic and HumaSPECT{\circledR}-Tc imaging to define the extent of disease and to predict resectability was evaluated based on surgical and histopathologic results. RESULTS: In patients with recurrent or metastatic disease (170 evaluable patients), the accuracy of predicting nonresectability of disease was significantly greater (P < 0.001) for HumaSPECT{\circledR}-Tc than for computed tomography (60 vs. 29 percent). Computed tomography understaged 41 percent of patients believed to have resectable disease compared with 27 percent for HumaSPECT{\circledR}-Tc (P < 0.001). In occult disease patients (29 computed tomographic and 28 HumaSPECT{\circledR}-Tc evaluable patients), the overall accuracy of predicting resectability/nonresectability was 68 percent for HumaSPECT{\circledR}- Tc compared with 24 percent for computed tomography. Administration of HumaSPECT{\circledR}-Tc had no effect on monoclonal antibody-based in vitro diagnostic assays. Only a single patient demonstrated an anti-antibody response (90 ng/ml) at nine weeks postinfusion. CONCLUSION: HumaSPECT{\circledR}-Tc was more accurate than computed tomography in determining disease resectability in patients with metastatic, recurrent, or occult cancer. The addition of HumaSPECT{\circledR}-Tc imaging can play a significant role in patient management decisions.",
keywords = "88BV59, Colorectal cancer, Human monoclonal antibody, HumaSPECT{\circledR}-Tc, Monoclonal antibody imaging, Technetium",
author = "Wolff, {Bruce G.} and John Bolton and Richard Baum and Alain Chetanneau and Alain Pecking and Serafini, {Aldo N} and Fischman, {Alan J.} and Hoover, {Herbert C.} and Klein, {Jerry L.} and Wynant, {Gordon E.} and Ramaswamy Subramanian and Goroff, {Diana K.} and Hanna, {Michael G.}",
year = "1998",
month = "8",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1007/BF02237380",
language = "English",
volume = "41",
pages = "953--962",
journal = "Diseases of the Colon and Rectum",
issn = "0012-3706",
publisher = "Lippincott Williams and Wilkins",
number = "8",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Radioimmunoscintigraphy of recurrent, metastatic, or occult colorectal cancer with technetium Tc 99m 88BV59H21-2V67-66 (HumaSPECT®-Tc), a totally human monoclonal antibody

T2 - Patient management benefit from a phase III multicenter study

AU - Wolff, Bruce G.

AU - Bolton, John

AU - Baum, Richard

AU - Chetanneau, Alain

AU - Pecking, Alain

AU - Serafini, Aldo N

AU - Fischman, Alan J.

AU - Hoover, Herbert C.

AU - Klein, Jerry L.

AU - Wynant, Gordon E.

AU - Subramanian, Ramaswamy

AU - Goroff, Diana K.

AU - Hanna, Michael G.

PY - 1998/8/1

Y1 - 1998/8/1

N2 - PURPOSE: The study contained herein was undertaken to evaluate the accuracy of radiolabeled human monoclonal antibody, 88BV59H21-2V67-66 (88BV59 or HumaSPECT®-Tc), in predicting disease resectability in presurgical subjects with recurrent, metastatic, or occult colorectal carcinoma. METHODS: A total of 219 patients with disease visualized on computed tomographic scan (recurrent or metastatic disease) or with negative or equivocal computed tomographic scan and rising carcinoembryonic antigen serum levels (occult group) received technetium Tc 99m-labeled 88BV59 intravenously. Planar and single photon emission computed tomographic images were obtained 14 to 20 hours postinfusion, before surgery. The ability of computed tomographic and HumaSPECT®-Tc imaging to define the extent of disease and to predict resectability was evaluated based on surgical and histopathologic results. RESULTS: In patients with recurrent or metastatic disease (170 evaluable patients), the accuracy of predicting nonresectability of disease was significantly greater (P < 0.001) for HumaSPECT®-Tc than for computed tomography (60 vs. 29 percent). Computed tomography understaged 41 percent of patients believed to have resectable disease compared with 27 percent for HumaSPECT®-Tc (P < 0.001). In occult disease patients (29 computed tomographic and 28 HumaSPECT®-Tc evaluable patients), the overall accuracy of predicting resectability/nonresectability was 68 percent for HumaSPECT®- Tc compared with 24 percent for computed tomography. Administration of HumaSPECT®-Tc had no effect on monoclonal antibody-based in vitro diagnostic assays. Only a single patient demonstrated an anti-antibody response (90 ng/ml) at nine weeks postinfusion. CONCLUSION: HumaSPECT®-Tc was more accurate than computed tomography in determining disease resectability in patients with metastatic, recurrent, or occult cancer. The addition of HumaSPECT®-Tc imaging can play a significant role in patient management decisions.

AB - PURPOSE: The study contained herein was undertaken to evaluate the accuracy of radiolabeled human monoclonal antibody, 88BV59H21-2V67-66 (88BV59 or HumaSPECT®-Tc), in predicting disease resectability in presurgical subjects with recurrent, metastatic, or occult colorectal carcinoma. METHODS: A total of 219 patients with disease visualized on computed tomographic scan (recurrent or metastatic disease) or with negative or equivocal computed tomographic scan and rising carcinoembryonic antigen serum levels (occult group) received technetium Tc 99m-labeled 88BV59 intravenously. Planar and single photon emission computed tomographic images were obtained 14 to 20 hours postinfusion, before surgery. The ability of computed tomographic and HumaSPECT®-Tc imaging to define the extent of disease and to predict resectability was evaluated based on surgical and histopathologic results. RESULTS: In patients with recurrent or metastatic disease (170 evaluable patients), the accuracy of predicting nonresectability of disease was significantly greater (P < 0.001) for HumaSPECT®-Tc than for computed tomography (60 vs. 29 percent). Computed tomography understaged 41 percent of patients believed to have resectable disease compared with 27 percent for HumaSPECT®-Tc (P < 0.001). In occult disease patients (29 computed tomographic and 28 HumaSPECT®-Tc evaluable patients), the overall accuracy of predicting resectability/nonresectability was 68 percent for HumaSPECT®- Tc compared with 24 percent for computed tomography. Administration of HumaSPECT®-Tc had no effect on monoclonal antibody-based in vitro diagnostic assays. Only a single patient demonstrated an anti-antibody response (90 ng/ml) at nine weeks postinfusion. CONCLUSION: HumaSPECT®-Tc was more accurate than computed tomography in determining disease resectability in patients with metastatic, recurrent, or occult cancer. The addition of HumaSPECT®-Tc imaging can play a significant role in patient management decisions.

KW - 88BV59

KW - Colorectal cancer

KW - Human monoclonal antibody

KW - HumaSPECT®-Tc

KW - Monoclonal antibody imaging

KW - Technetium

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0031824063&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0031824063&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1007/BF02237380

DO - 10.1007/BF02237380

M3 - Article

VL - 41

SP - 953

EP - 962

JO - Diseases of the Colon and Rectum

JF - Diseases of the Colon and Rectum

SN - 0012-3706

IS - 8

ER -