Phase II trial of recombinant interferon-α with BCNU, cisplatin, DTIC and tamoxifen in advanced malignant melanoma

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

16 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Since cytotoxic chemotherapy (BCNU, DTIC and cisplatin, tamoxifen) and interferon-α (IFN-α) have each produced responses In advanced malignant melanoma, a phase II trial was conducted to evaluate the response and toxicity of simultaneous administration of both therapies. Of 33 assessable patients, two (6%) had complete response (CR) and 12 patients (36%) had partial response (PR), for a total response rate (CR + PR) of 42% (95% confidence interval 26-58). Four patients had minor response (12%). Mixed responses occurred in five patients (15%). The remaining patients had progressive disease. The duration of CR was 3, 7 and 17 (+) months and the duration of PR was 3+ to 19+ months (median 6 months). The median overall survival for all patients entered Into the study was 5 months. Main toxicities included myelosuppression and fatigue. Combined simultaneous cytotoxic chemotherapy and IFN produced a high response rate (42%) which is comparable to that reported for chemotherapy alone. Further studies are needed to determine the optimal schedule for combining chemotherapy and Immunotherapeutic agents as well as the Impact of biological agents on survival in the treatment of melanoma.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)273-276
Number of pages4
JournalMelanoma Research
Volume5
Issue number4
StatePublished - Jan 1 1995

Fingerprint

Carmustine
Dacarbazine
Tamoxifen
Interferons
Cisplatin
Melanoma
Drug Therapy
Survival
Biological Factors
Fatigue
Appointments and Schedules
Confidence Intervals
Therapeutics

Keywords

  • Interferon
  • Melanoma

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cancer Research
  • Dermatology

Cite this

@article{263bedf9504d4fb2a5de31e2f9137cf9,
title = "Phase II trial of recombinant interferon-α with BCNU, cisplatin, DTIC and tamoxifen in advanced malignant melanoma",
abstract = "Since cytotoxic chemotherapy (BCNU, DTIC and cisplatin, tamoxifen) and interferon-α (IFN-α) have each produced responses In advanced malignant melanoma, a phase II trial was conducted to evaluate the response and toxicity of simultaneous administration of both therapies. Of 33 assessable patients, two (6{\%}) had complete response (CR) and 12 patients (36{\%}) had partial response (PR), for a total response rate (CR + PR) of 42{\%} (95{\%} confidence interval 26-58). Four patients had minor response (12{\%}). Mixed responses occurred in five patients (15{\%}). The remaining patients had progressive disease. The duration of CR was 3, 7 and 17 (+) months and the duration of PR was 3+ to 19+ months (median 6 months). The median overall survival for all patients entered Into the study was 5 months. Main toxicities included myelosuppression and fatigue. Combined simultaneous cytotoxic chemotherapy and IFN produced a high response rate (42{\%}) which is comparable to that reported for chemotherapy alone. Further studies are needed to determine the optimal schedule for combining chemotherapy and Immunotherapeutic agents as well as the Impact of biological agents on survival in the treatment of melanoma.",
keywords = "Interferon, Melanoma",
author = "Feun, {Lynn G} and Niramol Savaraj and Moffat, {Frederick L} and D. Robinson and A. Liebmann and Judith Hurley and Raub, {W. A.} and Richman, {Stephen P}",
year = "1995",
month = "1",
day = "1",
language = "English",
volume = "5",
pages = "273--276",
journal = "Melanoma Research",
issn = "0960-8931",
publisher = "Lippincott Williams and Wilkins",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Phase II trial of recombinant interferon-α with BCNU, cisplatin, DTIC and tamoxifen in advanced malignant melanoma

AU - Feun, Lynn G

AU - Savaraj, Niramol

AU - Moffat, Frederick L

AU - Robinson, D.

AU - Liebmann, A.

AU - Hurley, Judith

AU - Raub, W. A.

AU - Richman, Stephen P

PY - 1995/1/1

Y1 - 1995/1/1

N2 - Since cytotoxic chemotherapy (BCNU, DTIC and cisplatin, tamoxifen) and interferon-α (IFN-α) have each produced responses In advanced malignant melanoma, a phase II trial was conducted to evaluate the response and toxicity of simultaneous administration of both therapies. Of 33 assessable patients, two (6%) had complete response (CR) and 12 patients (36%) had partial response (PR), for a total response rate (CR + PR) of 42% (95% confidence interval 26-58). Four patients had minor response (12%). Mixed responses occurred in five patients (15%). The remaining patients had progressive disease. The duration of CR was 3, 7 and 17 (+) months and the duration of PR was 3+ to 19+ months (median 6 months). The median overall survival for all patients entered Into the study was 5 months. Main toxicities included myelosuppression and fatigue. Combined simultaneous cytotoxic chemotherapy and IFN produced a high response rate (42%) which is comparable to that reported for chemotherapy alone. Further studies are needed to determine the optimal schedule for combining chemotherapy and Immunotherapeutic agents as well as the Impact of biological agents on survival in the treatment of melanoma.

AB - Since cytotoxic chemotherapy (BCNU, DTIC and cisplatin, tamoxifen) and interferon-α (IFN-α) have each produced responses In advanced malignant melanoma, a phase II trial was conducted to evaluate the response and toxicity of simultaneous administration of both therapies. Of 33 assessable patients, two (6%) had complete response (CR) and 12 patients (36%) had partial response (PR), for a total response rate (CR + PR) of 42% (95% confidence interval 26-58). Four patients had minor response (12%). Mixed responses occurred in five patients (15%). The remaining patients had progressive disease. The duration of CR was 3, 7 and 17 (+) months and the duration of PR was 3+ to 19+ months (median 6 months). The median overall survival for all patients entered Into the study was 5 months. Main toxicities included myelosuppression and fatigue. Combined simultaneous cytotoxic chemotherapy and IFN produced a high response rate (42%) which is comparable to that reported for chemotherapy alone. Further studies are needed to determine the optimal schedule for combining chemotherapy and Immunotherapeutic agents as well as the Impact of biological agents on survival in the treatment of melanoma.

KW - Interferon

KW - Melanoma

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0029040035&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0029040035&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 7496164

AN - SCOPUS:0029040035

VL - 5

SP - 273

EP - 276

JO - Melanoma Research

JF - Melanoma Research

SN - 0960-8931

IS - 4

ER -