Optic neuropathy from cobalt toxicity in a patient who ingested cattle magnets

Namita Bhardwaj, Javier Perez, Marc Peden

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

8 Scopus citations

Abstract

Cobalt is a widely used in the industrial production of hard metals. Cobalt ingestion has been reported to cause widespread systemic toxicity, but its effects on vision have been sparsely reported. The authors report the case of a patient who ingested cattle magnets, which remained in his stomach for an unknown duration of time. These magnets largely consist of cobalt that gradually leached into his blood stream, resulting in protean systemic manifestations, which included optic atrophy.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)24-26
Number of pages3
JournalNeuro-Ophthalmology
Volume35
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - Feb 2011

Keywords

  • cobalt
  • optic neuropathy
  • toxic

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Ophthalmology
  • Clinical Neurology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Optic neuropathy from cobalt toxicity in a patient who ingested cattle magnets'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this