Características ecográficas del melanocitoma de nervio óptico

Translated title of the contribution: Ocular ultrasound findings in optic disk melanocytoma

Andrés Lisker-Cervantes, David Arturo Ancona-Lezama, Luis Javier Arroyo-Garza, Jaime D. Martinez, Roberta Gomez Diaz Barreiro, Victor Daniel Valdepeña-López-Velarde, Virgilio Morales-Canton, Eduardo Moragrega-Adame

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

1 Scopus citations

Abstract

Purpose To describe the echographic characteristics of optic disk melanocytoma using a high resolution 10–20 MHz ophthalmic ultrasound. Methods We conducted a 10-year retrospective review finding 9 cases with optic disk melanocytoma. The echographic studies were performed by the same experienced ophthalmologist. The form and density of the tumors were evaluated with B-scan ultrasound. Internal reflectivity and vascularity of the tumors were assessed with a standardized A-scan. Base (vertical and horizontal) and height of the tumor were obtained by using both ultrasounds AB modes. Results The mean age at diagnosis was 43.88 years. There was no evidence of abnormal tumor vascularization in any of the cases. Mean (SD) vertical measurement of the base was 2.53 mm (±1.47). Mean (SD) horizontal measurement of the base was 2.49 mm (±1.03). Mean height (SD) was 1.52 mm (±0.88). Of the assessable cases, 78% had high internal reflectivity, the remaining 22% had medium-high internal reflectivity. All tumors’ internal structure was characteristically homogeneous. Mean follow-up was 33.6 months. Conclusion Melanocytomas are small, benign tumors that are highly assessable by ocular ultrasound when their elevation surpasses 0.5 mm. In our study, the internal reflectivity ranged from high to very high, unlike other malignancies such as choroidal melanoma which tend to present with low internal reflectivity. The avascularity of the tumor is a common finding. Ultrasound is a remarkable tool that helps detect benign characteristics in a pigmented optic disk tumor and helps establish a more reliable diagnosis.

Translated title of the contributionOcular ultrasound findings in optic disk melanocytoma
Original languageSpanish
Pages (from-to)316-320
Number of pages5
JournalRevista Mexicana de Oftalmologia
Volume91
Issue number6
DOIs
StatePublished - Nov 2017
Externally publishedYes

Keywords

  • Internal reflectivity
  • Melanocytoma
  • Optic disk
  • Retina
  • Ultrasound

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Ophthalmology

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Ocular ultrasound findings in optic disk melanocytoma'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this