Knowledge and attitudes of tuberculosis management in San Juan de Lurigancho district of Lima, Peru

Elizabeth Kiefer, Theresa Shao, Olveen Carrasquillo, Pamela Nabeta, Carlos Seas

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

23 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background: Expansion of the health care workforce in Peru to combat tuberculosis (TB) includes both professional health care providers (HCPs) such as doctors and nurses, and non-professional HCPs such as community health workers (CHWs). We describe the knowledge and attitudes of these HCPs, and identify modifiable barriers to appropriate anti-tuberculosis treatment. Methodology: We surveyed HCPs practicing in 30 clinical settings (hospitals, community health centers, and health posts) in the San Juan de Lurigancho district of Eastern Lima, Peru. Multiple-choice questions were used to assess knowledge of TB. A five-item Likert scale was created to assess attitudes toward the community, patients, and clinics. Linear regression was used to identify predictors of mean knowledge score, and analysis of variance was used to test differences in HCP score. Results: Of the 73 HCPs surveyed, 15% were professionals (doctors or nurses). The remaining 85% were health technicians, community health workers (CHWs) or students. The mean knowledge score was 10.0 ± 1.9 (maximum 14) with professional HCPs scoring higher than other HCPs (11.7 ± 1.1 vs. 9.7 ± 1.9), p < .01). Knowledge gaps included identification of patients at high risk for TB, assessment of treatment outcomes, and consequences of treatment failure. The most commonly cited modifiable barriers were structural, including laboratory facilities and staffing of TB clinics, with 52.1% and 62.5% of HCPs, respectively, citing these as problematic. Conclusions: Efforts to improve knowledge of TB HCPs in Peru should focus on the specific gaps we have identified. Further research is needed to evaluate whether these knowledge gaps correlate with TB control.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)783-788
Number of pages6
JournalJournal of Infection in Developing Countries
Volume3
Issue number10
StatePublished - Dec 1 2009

Fingerprint

Peru
Health Personnel
Tuberculosis
Nurses
Health Manpower
Community Health Centers
Health
Treatment Failure
Linear Models
Analysis of Variance
Students
Delivery of Health Care

Keywords

  • Attitudes
  • Knowledge
  • Peru
  • Providers
  • Tuberculosis

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Infectious Diseases
  • Microbiology
  • Parasitology
  • Virology

Cite this

Knowledge and attitudes of tuberculosis management in San Juan de Lurigancho district of Lima, Peru. / Kiefer, Elizabeth; Shao, Theresa; Carrasquillo, Olveen; Nabeta, Pamela; Seas, Carlos.

In: Journal of Infection in Developing Countries, Vol. 3, No. 10, 01.12.2009, p. 783-788.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Kiefer, Elizabeth ; Shao, Theresa ; Carrasquillo, Olveen ; Nabeta, Pamela ; Seas, Carlos. / Knowledge and attitudes of tuberculosis management in San Juan de Lurigancho district of Lima, Peru. In: Journal of Infection in Developing Countries. 2009 ; Vol. 3, No. 10. pp. 783-788.
@article{e6a8981123cb4723a1a9f69af5bd0b23,
title = "Knowledge and attitudes of tuberculosis management in San Juan de Lurigancho district of Lima, Peru",
abstract = "Background: Expansion of the health care workforce in Peru to combat tuberculosis (TB) includes both professional health care providers (HCPs) such as doctors and nurses, and non-professional HCPs such as community health workers (CHWs). We describe the knowledge and attitudes of these HCPs, and identify modifiable barriers to appropriate anti-tuberculosis treatment. Methodology: We surveyed HCPs practicing in 30 clinical settings (hospitals, community health centers, and health posts) in the San Juan de Lurigancho district of Eastern Lima, Peru. Multiple-choice questions were used to assess knowledge of TB. A five-item Likert scale was created to assess attitudes toward the community, patients, and clinics. Linear regression was used to identify predictors of mean knowledge score, and analysis of variance was used to test differences in HCP score. Results: Of the 73 HCPs surveyed, 15{\%} were professionals (doctors or nurses). The remaining 85{\%} were health technicians, community health workers (CHWs) or students. The mean knowledge score was 10.0 ± 1.9 (maximum 14) with professional HCPs scoring higher than other HCPs (11.7 ± 1.1 vs. 9.7 ± 1.9), p < .01). Knowledge gaps included identification of patients at high risk for TB, assessment of treatment outcomes, and consequences of treatment failure. The most commonly cited modifiable barriers were structural, including laboratory facilities and staffing of TB clinics, with 52.1{\%} and 62.5{\%} of HCPs, respectively, citing these as problematic. Conclusions: Efforts to improve knowledge of TB HCPs in Peru should focus on the specific gaps we have identified. Further research is needed to evaluate whether these knowledge gaps correlate with TB control.",
keywords = "Attitudes, Knowledge, Peru, Providers, Tuberculosis",
author = "Elizabeth Kiefer and Theresa Shao and Olveen Carrasquillo and Pamela Nabeta and Carlos Seas",
year = "2009",
month = "12",
day = "1",
language = "English",
volume = "3",
pages = "783--788",
journal = "Journal of Infection in Developing Countries",
issn = "1972-2680",
publisher = "Journal of Infection in Developing Countries",
number = "10",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Knowledge and attitudes of tuberculosis management in San Juan de Lurigancho district of Lima, Peru

AU - Kiefer, Elizabeth

AU - Shao, Theresa

AU - Carrasquillo, Olveen

AU - Nabeta, Pamela

AU - Seas, Carlos

PY - 2009/12/1

Y1 - 2009/12/1

N2 - Background: Expansion of the health care workforce in Peru to combat tuberculosis (TB) includes both professional health care providers (HCPs) such as doctors and nurses, and non-professional HCPs such as community health workers (CHWs). We describe the knowledge and attitudes of these HCPs, and identify modifiable barriers to appropriate anti-tuberculosis treatment. Methodology: We surveyed HCPs practicing in 30 clinical settings (hospitals, community health centers, and health posts) in the San Juan de Lurigancho district of Eastern Lima, Peru. Multiple-choice questions were used to assess knowledge of TB. A five-item Likert scale was created to assess attitudes toward the community, patients, and clinics. Linear regression was used to identify predictors of mean knowledge score, and analysis of variance was used to test differences in HCP score. Results: Of the 73 HCPs surveyed, 15% were professionals (doctors or nurses). The remaining 85% were health technicians, community health workers (CHWs) or students. The mean knowledge score was 10.0 ± 1.9 (maximum 14) with professional HCPs scoring higher than other HCPs (11.7 ± 1.1 vs. 9.7 ± 1.9), p < .01). Knowledge gaps included identification of patients at high risk for TB, assessment of treatment outcomes, and consequences of treatment failure. The most commonly cited modifiable barriers were structural, including laboratory facilities and staffing of TB clinics, with 52.1% and 62.5% of HCPs, respectively, citing these as problematic. Conclusions: Efforts to improve knowledge of TB HCPs in Peru should focus on the specific gaps we have identified. Further research is needed to evaluate whether these knowledge gaps correlate with TB control.

AB - Background: Expansion of the health care workforce in Peru to combat tuberculosis (TB) includes both professional health care providers (HCPs) such as doctors and nurses, and non-professional HCPs such as community health workers (CHWs). We describe the knowledge and attitudes of these HCPs, and identify modifiable barriers to appropriate anti-tuberculosis treatment. Methodology: We surveyed HCPs practicing in 30 clinical settings (hospitals, community health centers, and health posts) in the San Juan de Lurigancho district of Eastern Lima, Peru. Multiple-choice questions were used to assess knowledge of TB. A five-item Likert scale was created to assess attitudes toward the community, patients, and clinics. Linear regression was used to identify predictors of mean knowledge score, and analysis of variance was used to test differences in HCP score. Results: Of the 73 HCPs surveyed, 15% were professionals (doctors or nurses). The remaining 85% were health technicians, community health workers (CHWs) or students. The mean knowledge score was 10.0 ± 1.9 (maximum 14) with professional HCPs scoring higher than other HCPs (11.7 ± 1.1 vs. 9.7 ± 1.9), p < .01). Knowledge gaps included identification of patients at high risk for TB, assessment of treatment outcomes, and consequences of treatment failure. The most commonly cited modifiable barriers were structural, including laboratory facilities and staffing of TB clinics, with 52.1% and 62.5% of HCPs, respectively, citing these as problematic. Conclusions: Efforts to improve knowledge of TB HCPs in Peru should focus on the specific gaps we have identified. Further research is needed to evaluate whether these knowledge gaps correlate with TB control.

KW - Attitudes

KW - Knowledge

KW - Peru

KW - Providers

KW - Tuberculosis

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=73649143485&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=73649143485&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 20009280

AN - SCOPUS:73649143485

VL - 3

SP - 783

EP - 788

JO - Journal of Infection in Developing Countries

JF - Journal of Infection in Developing Countries

SN - 1972-2680

IS - 10

ER -