Fetal pyelectasis: Is it always "physiologic"?

Abdallah M. Adra, Andres A. Mejides, Maha S. Dennaoui, Samir N. Beydoun

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

75 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: Our purpose was to determine the degree of fetal pyelectasis predictive of neonatal renal pathologic processes. STUDY DESIGN: Eighty-four cases of pyelectasis were identified during the study period (1989 through 1993). Fetuses with an anteroposterior diameter of the renal pelvis ≥4 mm before 33 weeks or ≥7 mm after 33 weeks without caliectasis were included. Fetuses with an anteroposterior diameter of >10 mm were excluded. Postnatal evaluation included renal sonogram, voiding cystourethrogram, and renal flow and function studies. RESULTS: Sixteen cases were excluded because of incomplete postnatal workup. Renal pathologic processes were found in 30 of 68 (44%) at birth: the most common were ureteropelvic junction obstruction (37%) and vesicoureteral reflux (33%). Only four cases required surgical intervention (13%), and the remaining 87% were managed conservatively. A normal urinary tract was found in 25% of the infants and the remaining 21 of 68 (31%) had regression of pyelectasis before birth. Fetuses with a dilated anteroposterior diameter ≥8 mm after 28 weeks' gestation were found to have renal pathologic features in two of three of the cases, with sensitivity, specificity, and positive and negative predictive values of 87%, 41%, 66.7% and 70%, respectively. CONCLUSION: Fetuses with an anteroposterior diameter of the renal pelvis ≥8 mm after 28 weeks' gestation require appropriate urologic evaluation after birth.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1263-1266
Number of pages4
JournalAmerican Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Volume173
Issue number4
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 1 1995
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Pyelectasis
Kidney
Fetus
Kidney Pelvis
Parturition
Pathologic Processes
Pregnancy
Vesico-Ureteral Reflux
Urinary Tract
Sensitivity and Specificity

Keywords

  • Prenatal ultrasonography
  • pyelectasis
  • renal pathology

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Obstetrics and Gynecology
  • Medicine(all)

Cite this

Adra, A. M., Mejides, A. A., Dennaoui, M. S., & Beydoun, S. N. (1995). Fetal pyelectasis: Is it always "physiologic"? American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 173(4), 1263-1266. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9378(95)91367-X

Fetal pyelectasis : Is it always "physiologic"? / Adra, Abdallah M.; Mejides, Andres A.; Dennaoui, Maha S.; Beydoun, Samir N.

In: American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Vol. 173, No. 4, 01.01.1995, p. 1263-1266.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Adra, AM, Mejides, AA, Dennaoui, MS & Beydoun, SN 1995, 'Fetal pyelectasis: Is it always "physiologic"?', American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 173, no. 4, pp. 1263-1266. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9378(95)91367-X
Adra, Abdallah M. ; Mejides, Andres A. ; Dennaoui, Maha S. ; Beydoun, Samir N. / Fetal pyelectasis : Is it always "physiologic"?. In: American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 1995 ; Vol. 173, No. 4. pp. 1263-1266.
@article{4485a9bf9f124e74b7ea2f15e9715352,
title = "Fetal pyelectasis: Is it always {"}physiologic{"}?",
abstract = "OBJECTIVE: Our purpose was to determine the degree of fetal pyelectasis predictive of neonatal renal pathologic processes. STUDY DESIGN: Eighty-four cases of pyelectasis were identified during the study period (1989 through 1993). Fetuses with an anteroposterior diameter of the renal pelvis ≥4 mm before 33 weeks or ≥7 mm after 33 weeks without caliectasis were included. Fetuses with an anteroposterior diameter of >10 mm were excluded. Postnatal evaluation included renal sonogram, voiding cystourethrogram, and renal flow and function studies. RESULTS: Sixteen cases were excluded because of incomplete postnatal workup. Renal pathologic processes were found in 30 of 68 (44{\%}) at birth: the most common were ureteropelvic junction obstruction (37{\%}) and vesicoureteral reflux (33{\%}). Only four cases required surgical intervention (13{\%}), and the remaining 87{\%} were managed conservatively. A normal urinary tract was found in 25{\%} of the infants and the remaining 21 of 68 (31{\%}) had regression of pyelectasis before birth. Fetuses with a dilated anteroposterior diameter ≥8 mm after 28 weeks' gestation were found to have renal pathologic features in two of three of the cases, with sensitivity, specificity, and positive and negative predictive values of 87{\%}, 41{\%}, 66.7{\%} and 70{\%}, respectively. CONCLUSION: Fetuses with an anteroposterior diameter of the renal pelvis ≥8 mm after 28 weeks' gestation require appropriate urologic evaluation after birth.",
keywords = "Prenatal ultrasonography, pyelectasis, renal pathology",
author = "Adra, {Abdallah M.} and Mejides, {Andres A.} and Dennaoui, {Maha S.} and Beydoun, {Samir N.}",
year = "1995",
month = "1",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1016/0002-9378(95)91367-X",
language = "English",
volume = "173",
pages = "1263--1266",
journal = "American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology",
issn = "0002-9378",
publisher = "Mosby Inc.",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Fetal pyelectasis

T2 - Is it always "physiologic"?

AU - Adra, Abdallah M.

AU - Mejides, Andres A.

AU - Dennaoui, Maha S.

AU - Beydoun, Samir N.

PY - 1995/1/1

Y1 - 1995/1/1

N2 - OBJECTIVE: Our purpose was to determine the degree of fetal pyelectasis predictive of neonatal renal pathologic processes. STUDY DESIGN: Eighty-four cases of pyelectasis were identified during the study period (1989 through 1993). Fetuses with an anteroposterior diameter of the renal pelvis ≥4 mm before 33 weeks or ≥7 mm after 33 weeks without caliectasis were included. Fetuses with an anteroposterior diameter of >10 mm were excluded. Postnatal evaluation included renal sonogram, voiding cystourethrogram, and renal flow and function studies. RESULTS: Sixteen cases were excluded because of incomplete postnatal workup. Renal pathologic processes were found in 30 of 68 (44%) at birth: the most common were ureteropelvic junction obstruction (37%) and vesicoureteral reflux (33%). Only four cases required surgical intervention (13%), and the remaining 87% were managed conservatively. A normal urinary tract was found in 25% of the infants and the remaining 21 of 68 (31%) had regression of pyelectasis before birth. Fetuses with a dilated anteroposterior diameter ≥8 mm after 28 weeks' gestation were found to have renal pathologic features in two of three of the cases, with sensitivity, specificity, and positive and negative predictive values of 87%, 41%, 66.7% and 70%, respectively. CONCLUSION: Fetuses with an anteroposterior diameter of the renal pelvis ≥8 mm after 28 weeks' gestation require appropriate urologic evaluation after birth.

AB - OBJECTIVE: Our purpose was to determine the degree of fetal pyelectasis predictive of neonatal renal pathologic processes. STUDY DESIGN: Eighty-four cases of pyelectasis were identified during the study period (1989 through 1993). Fetuses with an anteroposterior diameter of the renal pelvis ≥4 mm before 33 weeks or ≥7 mm after 33 weeks without caliectasis were included. Fetuses with an anteroposterior diameter of >10 mm were excluded. Postnatal evaluation included renal sonogram, voiding cystourethrogram, and renal flow and function studies. RESULTS: Sixteen cases were excluded because of incomplete postnatal workup. Renal pathologic processes were found in 30 of 68 (44%) at birth: the most common were ureteropelvic junction obstruction (37%) and vesicoureteral reflux (33%). Only four cases required surgical intervention (13%), and the remaining 87% were managed conservatively. A normal urinary tract was found in 25% of the infants and the remaining 21 of 68 (31%) had regression of pyelectasis before birth. Fetuses with a dilated anteroposterior diameter ≥8 mm after 28 weeks' gestation were found to have renal pathologic features in two of three of the cases, with sensitivity, specificity, and positive and negative predictive values of 87%, 41%, 66.7% and 70%, respectively. CONCLUSION: Fetuses with an anteroposterior diameter of the renal pelvis ≥8 mm after 28 weeks' gestation require appropriate urologic evaluation after birth.

KW - Prenatal ultrasonography

KW - pyelectasis

KW - renal pathology

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0028884352&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0028884352&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/0002-9378(95)91367-X

DO - 10.1016/0002-9378(95)91367-X

M3 - Article

C2 - 7485334

AN - SCOPUS:0028884352

VL - 173

SP - 1263

EP - 1266

JO - American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology

JF - American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology

SN - 0002-9378

IS - 4

ER -