Evaluation of image quality and patient safety: Paired inspiratory and expiratory MDCT assessment of tracheobronchomalacia in paediatric patients under general anaesthesia with breath-hold technique

Edward Y. Lee, David Zurakowski, Maria D Almeida Bastos, Cynthia Stark, Maureen Carrier, Keira P. Mason

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

6 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Objective: The purpose of our investigation was to evaluate image quality and patient safety in infants and young children who required general anaesthesia with breath-hold technique for paired inspiratory and expiratory multidetector CT (MDCT) assessment of tracheobronchomalacia (TBM). Materials and methods: Our hospital's institutional review board approved the review of radiological and clinical data of a consecutive series of 20 paediatric patients who underwent MDCT under general anaesthesia with breath-hold technique for evaluation of TBM from May 2006 to December 2008. For each MDCT study, two fellowship-trained paediatric radiologists reviewed the inspiratory and expiratory MDCT images in an independent, randomised and blinded fashion for the presence of motion artefact at three anatomic levels (upper, middle and lower central airways). The clinical history and anaesthesia outcome, including the occurrence of any adverse events during or following the MDCT examinations until discharge, were also reviewed and recorded. Results: The study population consisted of 20 infants and young children (13 boys/seven girls, mean age 1.7 ± 1.4 years, age range 11 days to 4 years). The imaging quality of all 20 MDCT studies was diagnostic with no motion artefact in 16 studies (80%) and minimal motion artefact in the remaining four studies (20%). Minor adverse events occurred in three patients (15%) that included one patient (5%) with a brief (<60 s) oxygen desaturation during MDCT study, which resolved with oxygen, and two patients (5%) with either a brief (<60 s) oxygen desaturation (n = 1, 5%) or cough (n = 1, 5%) during recovery period, which were completely resolved with oxygen and dexamethasone, respectively. Conclusion: Diagnostic quality paired inspiratory and expiratory MDCT imaging with breath-hold technique can be safely performed in infants and young children under general anaesthesia for evaluation of TBM.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)151-157
Number of pages7
JournalJournal of Medical Imaging and Radiation Oncology
Volume56
Issue number2
DOIs
StatePublished - Apr 1 2012
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Tracheobronchomalacia
Patient Safety
General Anesthesia
Artifacts
Pediatrics
Oxygen
Research Ethics Committees
Cough
Dexamethasone
Anesthesia
Population

Keywords

  • Image quality
  • Multidetector CT (MDCT)
  • Paediatric patients
  • Patient safety
  • Tracheobronchomalacia

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging
  • Oncology

Cite this

Evaluation of image quality and patient safety : Paired inspiratory and expiratory MDCT assessment of tracheobronchomalacia in paediatric patients under general anaesthesia with breath-hold technique. / Lee, Edward Y.; Zurakowski, David; Bastos, Maria D Almeida; Stark, Cynthia; Carrier, Maureen; Mason, Keira P.

In: Journal of Medical Imaging and Radiation Oncology, Vol. 56, No. 2, 01.04.2012, p. 151-157.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{2f544538ec9c4e9db5f14da1f6ef44fa,
title = "Evaluation of image quality and patient safety: Paired inspiratory and expiratory MDCT assessment of tracheobronchomalacia in paediatric patients under general anaesthesia with breath-hold technique",
abstract = "Objective: The purpose of our investigation was to evaluate image quality and patient safety in infants and young children who required general anaesthesia with breath-hold technique for paired inspiratory and expiratory multidetector CT (MDCT) assessment of tracheobronchomalacia (TBM). Materials and methods: Our hospital's institutional review board approved the review of radiological and clinical data of a consecutive series of 20 paediatric patients who underwent MDCT under general anaesthesia with breath-hold technique for evaluation of TBM from May 2006 to December 2008. For each MDCT study, two fellowship-trained paediatric radiologists reviewed the inspiratory and expiratory MDCT images in an independent, randomised and blinded fashion for the presence of motion artefact at three anatomic levels (upper, middle and lower central airways). The clinical history and anaesthesia outcome, including the occurrence of any adverse events during or following the MDCT examinations until discharge, were also reviewed and recorded. Results: The study population consisted of 20 infants and young children (13 boys/seven girls, mean age 1.7 ± 1.4 years, age range 11 days to 4 years). The imaging quality of all 20 MDCT studies was diagnostic with no motion artefact in 16 studies (80{\%}) and minimal motion artefact in the remaining four studies (20{\%}). Minor adverse events occurred in three patients (15{\%}) that included one patient (5{\%}) with a brief (<60 s) oxygen desaturation during MDCT study, which resolved with oxygen, and two patients (5{\%}) with either a brief (<60 s) oxygen desaturation (n = 1, 5{\%}) or cough (n = 1, 5{\%}) during recovery period, which were completely resolved with oxygen and dexamethasone, respectively. Conclusion: Diagnostic quality paired inspiratory and expiratory MDCT imaging with breath-hold technique can be safely performed in infants and young children under general anaesthesia for evaluation of TBM.",
keywords = "Image quality, Multidetector CT (MDCT), Paediatric patients, Patient safety, Tracheobronchomalacia",
author = "Lee, {Edward Y.} and David Zurakowski and Bastos, {Maria D Almeida} and Cynthia Stark and Maureen Carrier and Mason, {Keira P.}",
year = "2012",
month = "4",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1111/j.1754-9485.2012.02351.x",
language = "English",
volume = "56",
pages = "151--157",
journal = "Journal of Medical Imaging and Radiation Oncology",
issn = "1754-9477",
publisher = "Wiley-Blackwell",
number = "2",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Evaluation of image quality and patient safety

T2 - Paired inspiratory and expiratory MDCT assessment of tracheobronchomalacia in paediatric patients under general anaesthesia with breath-hold technique

AU - Lee, Edward Y.

AU - Zurakowski, David

AU - Bastos, Maria D Almeida

AU - Stark, Cynthia

AU - Carrier, Maureen

AU - Mason, Keira P.

PY - 2012/4/1

Y1 - 2012/4/1

N2 - Objective: The purpose of our investigation was to evaluate image quality and patient safety in infants and young children who required general anaesthesia with breath-hold technique for paired inspiratory and expiratory multidetector CT (MDCT) assessment of tracheobronchomalacia (TBM). Materials and methods: Our hospital's institutional review board approved the review of radiological and clinical data of a consecutive series of 20 paediatric patients who underwent MDCT under general anaesthesia with breath-hold technique for evaluation of TBM from May 2006 to December 2008. For each MDCT study, two fellowship-trained paediatric radiologists reviewed the inspiratory and expiratory MDCT images in an independent, randomised and blinded fashion for the presence of motion artefact at three anatomic levels (upper, middle and lower central airways). The clinical history and anaesthesia outcome, including the occurrence of any adverse events during or following the MDCT examinations until discharge, were also reviewed and recorded. Results: The study population consisted of 20 infants and young children (13 boys/seven girls, mean age 1.7 ± 1.4 years, age range 11 days to 4 years). The imaging quality of all 20 MDCT studies was diagnostic with no motion artefact in 16 studies (80%) and minimal motion artefact in the remaining four studies (20%). Minor adverse events occurred in three patients (15%) that included one patient (5%) with a brief (<60 s) oxygen desaturation during MDCT study, which resolved with oxygen, and two patients (5%) with either a brief (<60 s) oxygen desaturation (n = 1, 5%) or cough (n = 1, 5%) during recovery period, which were completely resolved with oxygen and dexamethasone, respectively. Conclusion: Diagnostic quality paired inspiratory and expiratory MDCT imaging with breath-hold technique can be safely performed in infants and young children under general anaesthesia for evaluation of TBM.

AB - Objective: The purpose of our investigation was to evaluate image quality and patient safety in infants and young children who required general anaesthesia with breath-hold technique for paired inspiratory and expiratory multidetector CT (MDCT) assessment of tracheobronchomalacia (TBM). Materials and methods: Our hospital's institutional review board approved the review of radiological and clinical data of a consecutive series of 20 paediatric patients who underwent MDCT under general anaesthesia with breath-hold technique for evaluation of TBM from May 2006 to December 2008. For each MDCT study, two fellowship-trained paediatric radiologists reviewed the inspiratory and expiratory MDCT images in an independent, randomised and blinded fashion for the presence of motion artefact at three anatomic levels (upper, middle and lower central airways). The clinical history and anaesthesia outcome, including the occurrence of any adverse events during or following the MDCT examinations until discharge, were also reviewed and recorded. Results: The study population consisted of 20 infants and young children (13 boys/seven girls, mean age 1.7 ± 1.4 years, age range 11 days to 4 years). The imaging quality of all 20 MDCT studies was diagnostic with no motion artefact in 16 studies (80%) and minimal motion artefact in the remaining four studies (20%). Minor adverse events occurred in three patients (15%) that included one patient (5%) with a brief (<60 s) oxygen desaturation during MDCT study, which resolved with oxygen, and two patients (5%) with either a brief (<60 s) oxygen desaturation (n = 1, 5%) or cough (n = 1, 5%) during recovery period, which were completely resolved with oxygen and dexamethasone, respectively. Conclusion: Diagnostic quality paired inspiratory and expiratory MDCT imaging with breath-hold technique can be safely performed in infants and young children under general anaesthesia for evaluation of TBM.

KW - Image quality

KW - Multidetector CT (MDCT)

KW - Paediatric patients

KW - Patient safety

KW - Tracheobronchomalacia

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84859804314&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84859804314&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1111/j.1754-9485.2012.02351.x

DO - 10.1111/j.1754-9485.2012.02351.x

M3 - Article

C2 - 22498186

AN - SCOPUS:84859804314

VL - 56

SP - 151

EP - 157

JO - Journal of Medical Imaging and Radiation Oncology

JF - Journal of Medical Imaging and Radiation Oncology

SN - 1754-9477

IS - 2

ER -