Endophthalmitis and concurrent or delayed-onset rhegmatogenous retinal detachment managed with pars plana vitrectomy, intravitreal antibiotics, and silicone oil

Vivek Pravin Dave, Avinash Pathengay, Nidhi Relhan, Pranjali Sharma, Subhadra Jalali, Rajeev Reddy Pappuru, Mudit Tyagi, Raja Narayanan, Jay Chhablani, Taraprasad Das, Harry W. Flynn

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

6 Scopus citations

Abstract

Background and Objective: The current study describes the treatment outcomes in patients with endophthalmitis and concurrent or delayed-onset retinal detachment managed with pars plana vitrectomy, intravitreal antibiotics, and silicone oil. PATIENTS AND METHODS: In this noncomparative, retrospective case series, the medical records of patients diagnosed with endophthalmitis and retinal detachment from January 1991 through December 2014 at a tertiary eye care center in South India were reviewed. All patients received silicone oil for the management of retinal detachment either concurrently or during follow-up treatment. RESULTS: A total of 93 patients were included in the current study. Retinal detachment was diagnosed at presentation in 20 of 93 patients (21.5%) (concurrent group: Group 1) and during follow-up in the remaining 73 of 93 patients (78.5%) (delayed-onset group: Group 2). In Group 1, the initial treatment consisted of vitrectomy, intravitreal antibiotics, and silicone oil injection in 19 of 20 patients. In Group 2, patients did not receive silicone oil during initial treatment but underwent silicone oil injection during subsequent surgery for repair of retinal detachment. Rates of complete retinal reattachment and visual acuity of 20/400 or better were 73.7% and 30.0%, respectively, in Group 1 and 98.5% and 39.7%, respectively, in Group 2. The median visual acuity at last follow-up in 44 eyes undergoing silicone oil removal was 20/100 (logMAR 0.7), whereas in the remaining 49 eyes that did not undergo silicone oil removal, median visual acuity was 20/2000 (logMAR 2.0). CONCLUSION: In these patients with endophthalmitis with concurrent or delayed-onset retinal detachment, the use of silicone oil can be a useful adjunct.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)546-551
Number of pages6
JournalOphthalmic Surgery Lasers and Imaging Retina
Volume48
Issue number7
DOIs
StatePublished - Jul 2017

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery
  • Ophthalmology

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Endophthalmitis and concurrent or delayed-onset rhegmatogenous retinal detachment managed with pars plana vitrectomy, intravitreal antibiotics, and silicone oil'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this