Cyclosporine A, alpha-interferon and interleukin-2 following chemotherapy with BCNU, DTIC, cisplatin, and tamoxifen: A phase II study in advanced melanoma

Lynn Feun, Angela Marini, Frederick Moffat, Niramol Savaraj, Judith Hurley, Amitabha Mazumder

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

11 Scopus citations

Abstract

Preclinical data suggest that one method of inducing autoimmunity to tumor is the administration and subsequent withdrawal of cyclosporine A following chemotherapy and that this effect may be enhanced with interferon and interleukin-2. Consequently, we performed a phase II trial in patients with advanced melanoma to explore this approach. Thirty-three patients were treated with BCNU (150 mg/m2 iv every 8 weeks), cisplatin (25 mg/m 2 iv days 1-3) every 4 weeks, DTIC (220 mg/m2 iv days 1-3 every 4 weeks) along with tamoxifen (10 mg po BID days 1-4). Cyclosporine A at 3 mg/kg/day in two divided doses was given on days 4-21, alpha-interferon 1 million units/m2 subcutaneously every other day on days 4-21 and interleukin-2 1 million units/m2 BID subcutaneously days 21-28 were also given. Of the 33 patients, 3 patients (9%) had complete response and 8 patients (24%) had a partial response for a total response rate of 33% (95% confidence interval 18-52%). Median duration of response was 17 months (range 3+ to 24+ months). Six patients continue to show no signs of tumor progression for 3+, 5+, 10+, 24+, 60+, and 72+ months. Toxicity was generally well tolerated and included myelosuppression and fatigue. This regimen is feasible and generally tolerable and has produced an antitumor response rate comparable with inpatient biochemotherapy regimens.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)3-8
Number of pages6
JournalCancer Investigation
Volume23
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 1 2005

    Fingerprint

Keywords

  • Cyclosporine
  • Interferon
  • Interleukin
  • Melanoma

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Cancer Research

Cite this