Computer-assisted laparoscopic pyeloplasty

University of Miami experience with the daVinci™ surgical system

Farjaad M. Siddiq, Raymond J. Leveillee, Patrick Villicana, Vincent G. Bird

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

32 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Purpose: We report our experience with laparoscopic pyeloplasty using the daVinci™ surgical platform. Patients and Methods: We routinely performed laparoscopic pyeloplasties prior to acquiring the daVinci system. We prospectively evaluated 26 computer-assisted laparoscopic pyeloplasties (CLP) performed since acquiring the device in March 2003. There were 15 male and 11 female patients with a mean age of 34.5 years, who underwent right-sided procedures in 11 cases and left-sided procedures in 15 cases. Four patients (15%) had secondary ureteropelvic junction obstruction. All procedures were performed through a transperitoneal approach over stents placed preoperatively. The operative time excluded the time needed for stent insertion. Radiographic objective success was defined as adequate cortical drainage (t1/2 ≤15 minutes) and preserved or improved renal function on MAG-3 diuretic renography. Results: A total of 23 dismembered pyeloplasties and 3 Y-V plastics were performed. In five patients, nephroscopy was performed for stone removal. The mean operative time and blood loss were 245 minutes and 69 mL, respectively. There were no intraoperative complications or open conversions. Three minor post-operative complications were noted. The mean length of hospital stay was 2 days (range 1-5 days). In 19 evaluable patients, at a median follow-up of 6 months (range 2-10 days), 15 (79%) had complete symptom resolution, while 3 (16%) had marked symptom improvement. The overall subjective improvement rate thus was 95%. The objective success rate based on our strict diuretic renography criteria was 100%. The overall clinical success rate was 95% (18/19). Conclusions: Robot-assisted laparoscopic pyeloplasty is a feasible alternative to laparoscopic or open pyeloplasty with excellent short-term subjective and objective success rates.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)387-392
Number of pages6
JournalJournal of Endourology
Volume19
Issue number3
DOIs
StatePublished - Apr 1 2005
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Radioisotope Renography
Operative Time
Diuretics
Stents
Length of Stay
Intraoperative Complications
Plastics
Drainage
Kidney
Equipment and Supplies

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Urology

Cite this

Computer-assisted laparoscopic pyeloplasty : University of Miami experience with the daVinci™ surgical system. / Siddiq, Farjaad M.; Leveillee, Raymond J.; Villicana, Patrick; Bird, Vincent G.

In: Journal of Endourology, Vol. 19, No. 3, 01.04.2005, p. 387-392.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Siddiq, Farjaad M. ; Leveillee, Raymond J. ; Villicana, Patrick ; Bird, Vincent G. / Computer-assisted laparoscopic pyeloplasty : University of Miami experience with the daVinci™ surgical system. In: Journal of Endourology. 2005 ; Vol. 19, No. 3. pp. 387-392.
@article{57dcd26a01194720bfe6e29eab734f53,
title = "Computer-assisted laparoscopic pyeloplasty: University of Miami experience with the daVinci™ surgical system",
abstract = "Purpose: We report our experience with laparoscopic pyeloplasty using the daVinci™ surgical platform. Patients and Methods: We routinely performed laparoscopic pyeloplasties prior to acquiring the daVinci system. We prospectively evaluated 26 computer-assisted laparoscopic pyeloplasties (CLP) performed since acquiring the device in March 2003. There were 15 male and 11 female patients with a mean age of 34.5 years, who underwent right-sided procedures in 11 cases and left-sided procedures in 15 cases. Four patients (15{\%}) had secondary ureteropelvic junction obstruction. All procedures were performed through a transperitoneal approach over stents placed preoperatively. The operative time excluded the time needed for stent insertion. Radiographic objective success was defined as adequate cortical drainage (t1/2 ≤15 minutes) and preserved or improved renal function on MAG-3 diuretic renography. Results: A total of 23 dismembered pyeloplasties and 3 Y-V plastics were performed. In five patients, nephroscopy was performed for stone removal. The mean operative time and blood loss were 245 minutes and 69 mL, respectively. There were no intraoperative complications or open conversions. Three minor post-operative complications were noted. The mean length of hospital stay was 2 days (range 1-5 days). In 19 evaluable patients, at a median follow-up of 6 months (range 2-10 days), 15 (79{\%}) had complete symptom resolution, while 3 (16{\%}) had marked symptom improvement. The overall subjective improvement rate thus was 95{\%}. The objective success rate based on our strict diuretic renography criteria was 100{\%}. The overall clinical success rate was 95{\%} (18/19). Conclusions: Robot-assisted laparoscopic pyeloplasty is a feasible alternative to laparoscopic or open pyeloplasty with excellent short-term subjective and objective success rates.",
author = "Siddiq, {Farjaad M.} and Leveillee, {Raymond J.} and Patrick Villicana and Bird, {Vincent G.}",
year = "2005",
month = "4",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1089/end.2005.19.387",
language = "English",
volume = "19",
pages = "387--392",
journal = "Journal of Endourology",
issn = "0892-7790",
publisher = "Mary Ann Liebert Inc.",
number = "3",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Computer-assisted laparoscopic pyeloplasty

T2 - University of Miami experience with the daVinci™ surgical system

AU - Siddiq, Farjaad M.

AU - Leveillee, Raymond J.

AU - Villicana, Patrick

AU - Bird, Vincent G.

PY - 2005/4/1

Y1 - 2005/4/1

N2 - Purpose: We report our experience with laparoscopic pyeloplasty using the daVinci™ surgical platform. Patients and Methods: We routinely performed laparoscopic pyeloplasties prior to acquiring the daVinci system. We prospectively evaluated 26 computer-assisted laparoscopic pyeloplasties (CLP) performed since acquiring the device in March 2003. There were 15 male and 11 female patients with a mean age of 34.5 years, who underwent right-sided procedures in 11 cases and left-sided procedures in 15 cases. Four patients (15%) had secondary ureteropelvic junction obstruction. All procedures were performed through a transperitoneal approach over stents placed preoperatively. The operative time excluded the time needed for stent insertion. Radiographic objective success was defined as adequate cortical drainage (t1/2 ≤15 minutes) and preserved or improved renal function on MAG-3 diuretic renography. Results: A total of 23 dismembered pyeloplasties and 3 Y-V plastics were performed. In five patients, nephroscopy was performed for stone removal. The mean operative time and blood loss were 245 minutes and 69 mL, respectively. There were no intraoperative complications or open conversions. Three minor post-operative complications were noted. The mean length of hospital stay was 2 days (range 1-5 days). In 19 evaluable patients, at a median follow-up of 6 months (range 2-10 days), 15 (79%) had complete symptom resolution, while 3 (16%) had marked symptom improvement. The overall subjective improvement rate thus was 95%. The objective success rate based on our strict diuretic renography criteria was 100%. The overall clinical success rate was 95% (18/19). Conclusions: Robot-assisted laparoscopic pyeloplasty is a feasible alternative to laparoscopic or open pyeloplasty with excellent short-term subjective and objective success rates.

AB - Purpose: We report our experience with laparoscopic pyeloplasty using the daVinci™ surgical platform. Patients and Methods: We routinely performed laparoscopic pyeloplasties prior to acquiring the daVinci system. We prospectively evaluated 26 computer-assisted laparoscopic pyeloplasties (CLP) performed since acquiring the device in March 2003. There were 15 male and 11 female patients with a mean age of 34.5 years, who underwent right-sided procedures in 11 cases and left-sided procedures in 15 cases. Four patients (15%) had secondary ureteropelvic junction obstruction. All procedures were performed through a transperitoneal approach over stents placed preoperatively. The operative time excluded the time needed for stent insertion. Radiographic objective success was defined as adequate cortical drainage (t1/2 ≤15 minutes) and preserved or improved renal function on MAG-3 diuretic renography. Results: A total of 23 dismembered pyeloplasties and 3 Y-V plastics were performed. In five patients, nephroscopy was performed for stone removal. The mean operative time and blood loss were 245 minutes and 69 mL, respectively. There were no intraoperative complications or open conversions. Three minor post-operative complications were noted. The mean length of hospital stay was 2 days (range 1-5 days). In 19 evaluable patients, at a median follow-up of 6 months (range 2-10 days), 15 (79%) had complete symptom resolution, while 3 (16%) had marked symptom improvement. The overall subjective improvement rate thus was 95%. The objective success rate based on our strict diuretic renography criteria was 100%. The overall clinical success rate was 95% (18/19). Conclusions: Robot-assisted laparoscopic pyeloplasty is a feasible alternative to laparoscopic or open pyeloplasty with excellent short-term subjective and objective success rates.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=18544361912&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=18544361912&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1089/end.2005.19.387

DO - 10.1089/end.2005.19.387

M3 - Article

VL - 19

SP - 387

EP - 392

JO - Journal of Endourology

JF - Journal of Endourology

SN - 0892-7790

IS - 3

ER -