Clinical and echographic findings in idiopathic orbital myositis

R. M. Siatkowski, Hilda Capo, S. F. Byrne, E. K. Gendron, J. T. Flynn, M. Munoz, William J Feuer

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

78 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

We performed a retrospective chart review of 100 patients with idiopathic orbital myositis, who were of ages 9 to 84 years. Data from 75 patients gave the following results. Females were affected more than twice as often as males. Fifty-one patients (68%) had single muscle involvement, with the lateral and medial recti affected most frequently (38 cases [33%] and 33 cases [29%] of muscles, respectively). In 34 patients (45%), affected muscles functioned normally; the remaining 55% (63 muscles) were fairly equally distributed between paretic (20%), restrictive (20%), or combined paretic and restrictive (15%) myopathies. Analysis of muscle function, echographic findings, and duration of symptoms indicates that within days of onset of symptoms, the affected muscle is initially enlarged but retains normal function. Within the first two weeks, continued enlargement results in muscle paresis. The muscle may then enter a partially or completely restrictive phase, which may become permanent. Fifty-one patients (68%) responded well to systemic corticosteroids, although 11 patients (15%) had further recurrences of the disease. Seven patients (9%) later developed thyroid eye disease after initially having unimuscular orbital myositis. We advocate early institution of corticosteroids in order to avoid permanent restrictive myopathies.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)343-350
Number of pages8
JournalAmerican Journal of Ophthalmology
Volume118
Issue number3
StatePublished - Jan 1 1994
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Orbital Myositis
Muscles
Muscular Diseases
Adrenal Cortex Hormones
Eye Diseases
Thyroid Diseases
Paresis
Recurrence

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Ophthalmology

Cite this

Siatkowski, R. M., Capo, H., Byrne, S. F., Gendron, E. K., Flynn, J. T., Munoz, M., & Feuer, W. J. (1994). Clinical and echographic findings in idiopathic orbital myositis. American Journal of Ophthalmology, 118(3), 343-350.

Clinical and echographic findings in idiopathic orbital myositis. / Siatkowski, R. M.; Capo, Hilda; Byrne, S. F.; Gendron, E. K.; Flynn, J. T.; Munoz, M.; Feuer, William J.

In: American Journal of Ophthalmology, Vol. 118, No. 3, 01.01.1994, p. 343-350.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Siatkowski, RM, Capo, H, Byrne, SF, Gendron, EK, Flynn, JT, Munoz, M & Feuer, WJ 1994, 'Clinical and echographic findings in idiopathic orbital myositis', American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 118, no. 3, pp. 343-350.
Siatkowski RM, Capo H, Byrne SF, Gendron EK, Flynn JT, Munoz M et al. Clinical and echographic findings in idiopathic orbital myositis. American Journal of Ophthalmology. 1994 Jan 1;118(3):343-350.
Siatkowski, R. M. ; Capo, Hilda ; Byrne, S. F. ; Gendron, E. K. ; Flynn, J. T. ; Munoz, M. ; Feuer, William J. / Clinical and echographic findings in idiopathic orbital myositis. In: American Journal of Ophthalmology. 1994 ; Vol. 118, No. 3. pp. 343-350.
@article{1c5c7026e9fd4d239b60f46651c82bac,
title = "Clinical and echographic findings in idiopathic orbital myositis",
abstract = "We performed a retrospective chart review of 100 patients with idiopathic orbital myositis, who were of ages 9 to 84 years. Data from 75 patients gave the following results. Females were affected more than twice as often as males. Fifty-one patients (68{\%}) had single muscle involvement, with the lateral and medial recti affected most frequently (38 cases [33{\%}] and 33 cases [29{\%}] of muscles, respectively). In 34 patients (45{\%}), affected muscles functioned normally; the remaining 55{\%} (63 muscles) were fairly equally distributed between paretic (20{\%}), restrictive (20{\%}), or combined paretic and restrictive (15{\%}) myopathies. Analysis of muscle function, echographic findings, and duration of symptoms indicates that within days of onset of symptoms, the affected muscle is initially enlarged but retains normal function. Within the first two weeks, continued enlargement results in muscle paresis. The muscle may then enter a partially or completely restrictive phase, which may become permanent. Fifty-one patients (68{\%}) responded well to systemic corticosteroids, although 11 patients (15{\%}) had further recurrences of the disease. Seven patients (9{\%}) later developed thyroid eye disease after initially having unimuscular orbital myositis. We advocate early institution of corticosteroids in order to avoid permanent restrictive myopathies.",
author = "Siatkowski, {R. M.} and Hilda Capo and Byrne, {S. F.} and Gendron, {E. K.} and Flynn, {J. T.} and M. Munoz and Feuer, {William J}",
year = "1994",
month = "1",
day = "1",
language = "English",
volume = "118",
pages = "343--350",
journal = "American Journal of Ophthalmology",
issn = "0002-9394",
publisher = "Elsevier USA",
number = "3",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Clinical and echographic findings in idiopathic orbital myositis

AU - Siatkowski, R. M.

AU - Capo, Hilda

AU - Byrne, S. F.

AU - Gendron, E. K.

AU - Flynn, J. T.

AU - Munoz, M.

AU - Feuer, William J

PY - 1994/1/1

Y1 - 1994/1/1

N2 - We performed a retrospective chart review of 100 patients with idiopathic orbital myositis, who were of ages 9 to 84 years. Data from 75 patients gave the following results. Females were affected more than twice as often as males. Fifty-one patients (68%) had single muscle involvement, with the lateral and medial recti affected most frequently (38 cases [33%] and 33 cases [29%] of muscles, respectively). In 34 patients (45%), affected muscles functioned normally; the remaining 55% (63 muscles) were fairly equally distributed between paretic (20%), restrictive (20%), or combined paretic and restrictive (15%) myopathies. Analysis of muscle function, echographic findings, and duration of symptoms indicates that within days of onset of symptoms, the affected muscle is initially enlarged but retains normal function. Within the first two weeks, continued enlargement results in muscle paresis. The muscle may then enter a partially or completely restrictive phase, which may become permanent. Fifty-one patients (68%) responded well to systemic corticosteroids, although 11 patients (15%) had further recurrences of the disease. Seven patients (9%) later developed thyroid eye disease after initially having unimuscular orbital myositis. We advocate early institution of corticosteroids in order to avoid permanent restrictive myopathies.

AB - We performed a retrospective chart review of 100 patients with idiopathic orbital myositis, who were of ages 9 to 84 years. Data from 75 patients gave the following results. Females were affected more than twice as often as males. Fifty-one patients (68%) had single muscle involvement, with the lateral and medial recti affected most frequently (38 cases [33%] and 33 cases [29%] of muscles, respectively). In 34 patients (45%), affected muscles functioned normally; the remaining 55% (63 muscles) were fairly equally distributed between paretic (20%), restrictive (20%), or combined paretic and restrictive (15%) myopathies. Analysis of muscle function, echographic findings, and duration of symptoms indicates that within days of onset of symptoms, the affected muscle is initially enlarged but retains normal function. Within the first two weeks, continued enlargement results in muscle paresis. The muscle may then enter a partially or completely restrictive phase, which may become permanent. Fifty-one patients (68%) responded well to systemic corticosteroids, although 11 patients (15%) had further recurrences of the disease. Seven patients (9%) later developed thyroid eye disease after initially having unimuscular orbital myositis. We advocate early institution of corticosteroids in order to avoid permanent restrictive myopathies.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0028069996&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0028069996&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 8085592

AN - SCOPUS:0028069996

VL - 118

SP - 343

EP - 350

JO - American Journal of Ophthalmology

JF - American Journal of Ophthalmology

SN - 0002-9394

IS - 3

ER -