Choroid plexus hemorrhage in premature neonates

Recognition by sonography

J. D. Reeder, J. V. Kaude, Emmalee S Bandstra

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

19 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

In 34 consecutive infants admitted to the neonatal intensive care unit with birth weight of less than 1,500 g, 80 cranial real-time sonograms were obtained to determine the incidence of choroid plexus hemorrhage. Choroid plexus hemorrhage was diagnosed only in the absence of germinal matrix hemorrhage. Diagnostic criteria included choroid plexus nodularity, enlargement (greater than 12 mm in anteroposterior diameter), or asymmetry between right and left (greater than 5 mm). Ipsilateral intraventricular clots or occipital horn dilatation supported the diagnosis of choroid plexus hemorrhage in 10 (59%) of the 17 patients with intracranial hemorrhage. Hemorrhage in the region of the caudate nucleus was seen in the other seven cases (41%). Ventricular dilatation and/or intraventricular hemorrhage accompanied nine (90%) of the 10 cases of choroid plexus hemorrhage. This study suggests that in very low-birth-weight premature neonates, the choroid plexus may be a more frequent site of intracranial hemorrhage than previously believed.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)619-622
Number of pages4
JournalAmerican Journal of Neuroradiology
Volume3
Issue number6
StatePublished - Dec 1 1982
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Choroid Hemorrhage
Choroid Plexus
Ultrasonography
Newborn Infant
Intracranial Hemorrhages
Hemorrhage
Dilatation
Very Low Birth Weight Infant
Caudate Nucleus
Neonatal Intensive Care Units
Birth Weight
Incidence

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Clinical Neurology
  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging
  • Radiological and Ultrasound Technology

Cite this

Choroid plexus hemorrhage in premature neonates : Recognition by sonography. / Reeder, J. D.; Kaude, J. V.; Bandstra, Emmalee S.

In: American Journal of Neuroradiology, Vol. 3, No. 6, 01.12.1982, p. 619-622.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{2a1f45336d984f0eb88599fa74caa166,
title = "Choroid plexus hemorrhage in premature neonates: Recognition by sonography",
abstract = "In 34 consecutive infants admitted to the neonatal intensive care unit with birth weight of less than 1,500 g, 80 cranial real-time sonograms were obtained to determine the incidence of choroid plexus hemorrhage. Choroid plexus hemorrhage was diagnosed only in the absence of germinal matrix hemorrhage. Diagnostic criteria included choroid plexus nodularity, enlargement (greater than 12 mm in anteroposterior diameter), or asymmetry between right and left (greater than 5 mm). Ipsilateral intraventricular clots or occipital horn dilatation supported the diagnosis of choroid plexus hemorrhage in 10 (59{\%}) of the 17 patients with intracranial hemorrhage. Hemorrhage in the region of the caudate nucleus was seen in the other seven cases (41{\%}). Ventricular dilatation and/or intraventricular hemorrhage accompanied nine (90{\%}) of the 10 cases of choroid plexus hemorrhage. This study suggests that in very low-birth-weight premature neonates, the choroid plexus may be a more frequent site of intracranial hemorrhage than previously believed.",
author = "Reeder, {J. D.} and Kaude, {J. V.} and Bandstra, {Emmalee S}",
year = "1982",
month = "12",
day = "1",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "3",
pages = "619--622",
journal = "American Journal of Neuroradiology",
issn = "0195-6108",
publisher = "American Society of Neuroradiology",
number = "6",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Choroid plexus hemorrhage in premature neonates

T2 - Recognition by sonography

AU - Reeder, J. D.

AU - Kaude, J. V.

AU - Bandstra, Emmalee S

PY - 1982/12/1

Y1 - 1982/12/1

N2 - In 34 consecutive infants admitted to the neonatal intensive care unit with birth weight of less than 1,500 g, 80 cranial real-time sonograms were obtained to determine the incidence of choroid plexus hemorrhage. Choroid plexus hemorrhage was diagnosed only in the absence of germinal matrix hemorrhage. Diagnostic criteria included choroid plexus nodularity, enlargement (greater than 12 mm in anteroposterior diameter), or asymmetry between right and left (greater than 5 mm). Ipsilateral intraventricular clots or occipital horn dilatation supported the diagnosis of choroid plexus hemorrhage in 10 (59%) of the 17 patients with intracranial hemorrhage. Hemorrhage in the region of the caudate nucleus was seen in the other seven cases (41%). Ventricular dilatation and/or intraventricular hemorrhage accompanied nine (90%) of the 10 cases of choroid plexus hemorrhage. This study suggests that in very low-birth-weight premature neonates, the choroid plexus may be a more frequent site of intracranial hemorrhage than previously believed.

AB - In 34 consecutive infants admitted to the neonatal intensive care unit with birth weight of less than 1,500 g, 80 cranial real-time sonograms were obtained to determine the incidence of choroid plexus hemorrhage. Choroid plexus hemorrhage was diagnosed only in the absence of germinal matrix hemorrhage. Diagnostic criteria included choroid plexus nodularity, enlargement (greater than 12 mm in anteroposterior diameter), or asymmetry between right and left (greater than 5 mm). Ipsilateral intraventricular clots or occipital horn dilatation supported the diagnosis of choroid plexus hemorrhage in 10 (59%) of the 17 patients with intracranial hemorrhage. Hemorrhage in the region of the caudate nucleus was seen in the other seven cases (41%). Ventricular dilatation and/or intraventricular hemorrhage accompanied nine (90%) of the 10 cases of choroid plexus hemorrhage. This study suggests that in very low-birth-weight premature neonates, the choroid plexus may be a more frequent site of intracranial hemorrhage than previously believed.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0020382111&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0020382111&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

VL - 3

SP - 619

EP - 622

JO - American Journal of Neuroradiology

JF - American Journal of Neuroradiology

SN - 0195-6108

IS - 6

ER -