Avoiding bevacizumab related gastrointestinal toxicity for recurrent ovarian cancer by careful patient screening

Fiona Simpkins, Jerome L. Belinson, Peter G. Rose

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

68 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Objectives.: Bevacizumab, a monoclonal antibody directed against vascular endothelial growth factor, has demonstrated activity in recurrent ovarian carcinoma. An incidence of bowel perforation of 11% was reported in a recent phase II trial. A prior study from our institution demonstrated frequent (26%) transmural bowel wall involvement from ovarian cancer among patients who undergo intestinal resection at initial surgery. Since the initial report of this complication, we have limited bevacizumab treatment to patients without:1)clinical symptoms of bowel obstruction2)evidence of rectosigmoid involvement on pelvic exam3)bowel involvement on CT scan. Methods.: Patients with advanced recurrent ovarian cancer treated with single agent or combination bevacizumab therapy (15 mg/kg every 21 days) were retrospectively identified. All patients met the above criteria of no apparent bowel involvement. Toxicity was accessed using standard criteria. Objective tumor assessments and CA-125 Rustin Criteria were used to measure response and progression. Response to therapy was stratified by the presence or absence of bulky disease. Results.: Twenty-five patients (21 primary ovarian cancers; 4 primary peritoneal) had received a median of 5 (range 2-12) prior chemotherapy regimens and 3 (range 1-6) prior platinum containing regimens. All patients were platinum resistant prior to bevacizumab therapy. Ten patients (40%; 95% CI: (27%, 63%)) received a median of 4 cycles (range 1-24) of bevacizumab as a single agent and 15 patients (60%; 95% CI: (41%, 77%)) received bevacizumab in combination with cytotoxic therapy. Only 4 patients (16%; 95% CI: (6%, 35%)) had bulky disease (defined as any one lesion > 5 cm) prior to bevacizumab. The overall response rate (partial response) was 28% (7 patients; 95% CI: (14%, 48%)) with a 20% (2 of 10 patients; 95% CI: (5.7%, 51%)) and 33% (5 of 15 patients; 95% CI: (15%, 58%)) response rate with bevacizumab as single agent therapy and as combination therapy, respectively. Stable disease occurred in 40% (10 patients; 95% CI: (23%, 59%)) overall, with 30% bevacizumab alone (3 of 10 patients; 95% CI: (11%, 60%)) and 47% (7 of 15 patients; 95% CI: (25%, 70%)) when in combination. The median overall survival was 9.6 months (approximate 95% CI: (7.7, ∞). There were no cases of bowel perforation or other grade 3/4 toxicities. Grade 1 and 2 toxicities included proteinuria in 7 patients (36%; 95% CI: (14%, 48%)) and hypertension in 3 patients (12%; 95% CI: (4.2%, 30%)). Conclusion.: Bevacizumab demonstrates activity in recurrent platinum resistant ovarian cancer. No bowel perforations were demonstrated in our patient cohort. Such life threatening intestinal complications may be avoidable by careful patient selection even in a heavily pretreated patient population.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)118-123
Number of pages6
JournalGynecologic Oncology
Volume107
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - Oct 1 2007
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Ovarian Neoplasms
Platinum
Bevacizumab
Therapeutics
Proxy
Proteinuria
Patient Selection
Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor A

Keywords

  • Bevacizumab
  • Gastrointestinal toxicity
  • Platinum resistant ovarian cancer

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Obstetrics and Gynecology
  • Oncology

Cite this

Avoiding bevacizumab related gastrointestinal toxicity for recurrent ovarian cancer by careful patient screening. / Simpkins, Fiona; Belinson, Jerome L.; Rose, Peter G.

In: Gynecologic Oncology, Vol. 107, No. 1, 01.10.2007, p. 118-123.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Simpkins, Fiona ; Belinson, Jerome L. ; Rose, Peter G. / Avoiding bevacizumab related gastrointestinal toxicity for recurrent ovarian cancer by careful patient screening. In: Gynecologic Oncology. 2007 ; Vol. 107, No. 1. pp. 118-123.
@article{f32764a40d0c4ebd89bfa8424ccb45fb,
title = "Avoiding bevacizumab related gastrointestinal toxicity for recurrent ovarian cancer by careful patient screening",
abstract = "Objectives.: Bevacizumab, a monoclonal antibody directed against vascular endothelial growth factor, has demonstrated activity in recurrent ovarian carcinoma. An incidence of bowel perforation of 11{\%} was reported in a recent phase II trial. A prior study from our institution demonstrated frequent (26{\%}) transmural bowel wall involvement from ovarian cancer among patients who undergo intestinal resection at initial surgery. Since the initial report of this complication, we have limited bevacizumab treatment to patients without:1)clinical symptoms of bowel obstruction2)evidence of rectosigmoid involvement on pelvic exam3)bowel involvement on CT scan. Methods.: Patients with advanced recurrent ovarian cancer treated with single agent or combination bevacizumab therapy (15 mg/kg every 21 days) were retrospectively identified. All patients met the above criteria of no apparent bowel involvement. Toxicity was accessed using standard criteria. Objective tumor assessments and CA-125 Rustin Criteria were used to measure response and progression. Response to therapy was stratified by the presence or absence of bulky disease. Results.: Twenty-five patients (21 primary ovarian cancers; 4 primary peritoneal) had received a median of 5 (range 2-12) prior chemotherapy regimens and 3 (range 1-6) prior platinum containing regimens. All patients were platinum resistant prior to bevacizumab therapy. Ten patients (40{\%}; 95{\%} CI: (27{\%}, 63{\%})) received a median of 4 cycles (range 1-24) of bevacizumab as a single agent and 15 patients (60{\%}; 95{\%} CI: (41{\%}, 77{\%})) received bevacizumab in combination with cytotoxic therapy. Only 4 patients (16{\%}; 95{\%} CI: (6{\%}, 35{\%})) had bulky disease (defined as any one lesion > 5 cm) prior to bevacizumab. The overall response rate (partial response) was 28{\%} (7 patients; 95{\%} CI: (14{\%}, 48{\%})) with a 20{\%} (2 of 10 patients; 95{\%} CI: (5.7{\%}, 51{\%})) and 33{\%} (5 of 15 patients; 95{\%} CI: (15{\%}, 58{\%})) response rate with bevacizumab as single agent therapy and as combination therapy, respectively. Stable disease occurred in 40{\%} (10 patients; 95{\%} CI: (23{\%}, 59{\%})) overall, with 30{\%} bevacizumab alone (3 of 10 patients; 95{\%} CI: (11{\%}, 60{\%})) and 47{\%} (7 of 15 patients; 95{\%} CI: (25{\%}, 70{\%})) when in combination. The median overall survival was 9.6 months (approximate 95{\%} CI: (7.7, ∞). There were no cases of bowel perforation or other grade 3/4 toxicities. Grade 1 and 2 toxicities included proteinuria in 7 patients (36{\%}; 95{\%} CI: (14{\%}, 48{\%})) and hypertension in 3 patients (12{\%}; 95{\%} CI: (4.2{\%}, 30{\%})). Conclusion.: Bevacizumab demonstrates activity in recurrent platinum resistant ovarian cancer. No bowel perforations were demonstrated in our patient cohort. Such life threatening intestinal complications may be avoidable by careful patient selection even in a heavily pretreated patient population.",
keywords = "Bevacizumab, Gastrointestinal toxicity, Platinum resistant ovarian cancer",
author = "Fiona Simpkins and Belinson, {Jerome L.} and Rose, {Peter G.}",
year = "2007",
month = "10",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1016/j.ygyno.2007.06.004",
language = "English",
volume = "107",
pages = "118--123",
journal = "Gynecologic Oncology",
issn = "0090-8258",
publisher = "Academic Press Inc.",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Avoiding bevacizumab related gastrointestinal toxicity for recurrent ovarian cancer by careful patient screening

AU - Simpkins, Fiona

AU - Belinson, Jerome L.

AU - Rose, Peter G.

PY - 2007/10/1

Y1 - 2007/10/1

N2 - Objectives.: Bevacizumab, a monoclonal antibody directed against vascular endothelial growth factor, has demonstrated activity in recurrent ovarian carcinoma. An incidence of bowel perforation of 11% was reported in a recent phase II trial. A prior study from our institution demonstrated frequent (26%) transmural bowel wall involvement from ovarian cancer among patients who undergo intestinal resection at initial surgery. Since the initial report of this complication, we have limited bevacizumab treatment to patients without:1)clinical symptoms of bowel obstruction2)evidence of rectosigmoid involvement on pelvic exam3)bowel involvement on CT scan. Methods.: Patients with advanced recurrent ovarian cancer treated with single agent or combination bevacizumab therapy (15 mg/kg every 21 days) were retrospectively identified. All patients met the above criteria of no apparent bowel involvement. Toxicity was accessed using standard criteria. Objective tumor assessments and CA-125 Rustin Criteria were used to measure response and progression. Response to therapy was stratified by the presence or absence of bulky disease. Results.: Twenty-five patients (21 primary ovarian cancers; 4 primary peritoneal) had received a median of 5 (range 2-12) prior chemotherapy regimens and 3 (range 1-6) prior platinum containing regimens. All patients were platinum resistant prior to bevacizumab therapy. Ten patients (40%; 95% CI: (27%, 63%)) received a median of 4 cycles (range 1-24) of bevacizumab as a single agent and 15 patients (60%; 95% CI: (41%, 77%)) received bevacizumab in combination with cytotoxic therapy. Only 4 patients (16%; 95% CI: (6%, 35%)) had bulky disease (defined as any one lesion > 5 cm) prior to bevacizumab. The overall response rate (partial response) was 28% (7 patients; 95% CI: (14%, 48%)) with a 20% (2 of 10 patients; 95% CI: (5.7%, 51%)) and 33% (5 of 15 patients; 95% CI: (15%, 58%)) response rate with bevacizumab as single agent therapy and as combination therapy, respectively. Stable disease occurred in 40% (10 patients; 95% CI: (23%, 59%)) overall, with 30% bevacizumab alone (3 of 10 patients; 95% CI: (11%, 60%)) and 47% (7 of 15 patients; 95% CI: (25%, 70%)) when in combination. The median overall survival was 9.6 months (approximate 95% CI: (7.7, ∞). There were no cases of bowel perforation or other grade 3/4 toxicities. Grade 1 and 2 toxicities included proteinuria in 7 patients (36%; 95% CI: (14%, 48%)) and hypertension in 3 patients (12%; 95% CI: (4.2%, 30%)). Conclusion.: Bevacizumab demonstrates activity in recurrent platinum resistant ovarian cancer. No bowel perforations were demonstrated in our patient cohort. Such life threatening intestinal complications may be avoidable by careful patient selection even in a heavily pretreated patient population.

AB - Objectives.: Bevacizumab, a monoclonal antibody directed against vascular endothelial growth factor, has demonstrated activity in recurrent ovarian carcinoma. An incidence of bowel perforation of 11% was reported in a recent phase II trial. A prior study from our institution demonstrated frequent (26%) transmural bowel wall involvement from ovarian cancer among patients who undergo intestinal resection at initial surgery. Since the initial report of this complication, we have limited bevacizumab treatment to patients without:1)clinical symptoms of bowel obstruction2)evidence of rectosigmoid involvement on pelvic exam3)bowel involvement on CT scan. Methods.: Patients with advanced recurrent ovarian cancer treated with single agent or combination bevacizumab therapy (15 mg/kg every 21 days) were retrospectively identified. All patients met the above criteria of no apparent bowel involvement. Toxicity was accessed using standard criteria. Objective tumor assessments and CA-125 Rustin Criteria were used to measure response and progression. Response to therapy was stratified by the presence or absence of bulky disease. Results.: Twenty-five patients (21 primary ovarian cancers; 4 primary peritoneal) had received a median of 5 (range 2-12) prior chemotherapy regimens and 3 (range 1-6) prior platinum containing regimens. All patients were platinum resistant prior to bevacizumab therapy. Ten patients (40%; 95% CI: (27%, 63%)) received a median of 4 cycles (range 1-24) of bevacizumab as a single agent and 15 patients (60%; 95% CI: (41%, 77%)) received bevacizumab in combination with cytotoxic therapy. Only 4 patients (16%; 95% CI: (6%, 35%)) had bulky disease (defined as any one lesion > 5 cm) prior to bevacizumab. The overall response rate (partial response) was 28% (7 patients; 95% CI: (14%, 48%)) with a 20% (2 of 10 patients; 95% CI: (5.7%, 51%)) and 33% (5 of 15 patients; 95% CI: (15%, 58%)) response rate with bevacizumab as single agent therapy and as combination therapy, respectively. Stable disease occurred in 40% (10 patients; 95% CI: (23%, 59%)) overall, with 30% bevacizumab alone (3 of 10 patients; 95% CI: (11%, 60%)) and 47% (7 of 15 patients; 95% CI: (25%, 70%)) when in combination. The median overall survival was 9.6 months (approximate 95% CI: (7.7, ∞). There were no cases of bowel perforation or other grade 3/4 toxicities. Grade 1 and 2 toxicities included proteinuria in 7 patients (36%; 95% CI: (14%, 48%)) and hypertension in 3 patients (12%; 95% CI: (4.2%, 30%)). Conclusion.: Bevacizumab demonstrates activity in recurrent platinum resistant ovarian cancer. No bowel perforations were demonstrated in our patient cohort. Such life threatening intestinal complications may be avoidable by careful patient selection even in a heavily pretreated patient population.

KW - Bevacizumab

KW - Gastrointestinal toxicity

KW - Platinum resistant ovarian cancer

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=34648829056&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=34648829056&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.ygyno.2007.06.004

DO - 10.1016/j.ygyno.2007.06.004

M3 - Article

C2 - 17658587

AN - SCOPUS:34648829056

VL - 107

SP - 118

EP - 123

JO - Gynecologic Oncology

JF - Gynecologic Oncology

SN - 0090-8258

IS - 1

ER -