Automated system for the analysis of muscle and nerve biopsies

John F. Brenner, David J. Zahniser, Daniel W. Ziegelmiller, Lester S. Adelman, Theodore L. Munsat, Walter G Bradley

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

4 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

An automated system has been developed for morphometric analysis of muscle and nerve fibers as seen in routine biopsy tissue preparations. This system, which is suitable both for research and clinical applications, is now in routine use at New England Medical Center Hospital. It is designed around commonly available hardware and uses our own custom software. Special sample preparation is not required, and the system will process almost any biopsy that is free from obvious artifact and suitable for manual assessment. In a typical biopsy, the system provides nearly full automation for the edge (boundary) determination of over 90% of the fibers encountered. An efficient, interactive mode allows for rapid analysis of the remaining 10%. Once fiber boundaries are determined, the system provides fully automatic measurement of the usual parameters such as fiber diameter, as well as a number of parameters not routinely measured with existing manual techniques. Typical analysis times are 35 min for muscle and 2 h for nerve. Complete report generation is provided, with hardcopy available in the pathologist's office. This paper describes the operational aspects of the use of the automated analysis system in routine biopsy work.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)3398-3407
Number of pages10
JournalApplied Optics
Volume26
Issue number16
DOIs
StatePublished - Aug 15 1987
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Biopsy
nerves
muscles
Muscle
fibers
Fibers
New England (US)
muscle fibers
nerve fibers
preparation
systems analysis
automation
artifacts
hardware
computer programs
Automation
Tissue
Hardware

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics

Cite this

Brenner, J. F., Zahniser, D. J., Ziegelmiller, D. W., Adelman, L. S., Munsat, T. L., & Bradley, W. G. (1987). Automated system for the analysis of muscle and nerve biopsies. Applied Optics, 26(16), 3398-3407. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.26.003398

Automated system for the analysis of muscle and nerve biopsies. / Brenner, John F.; Zahniser, David J.; Ziegelmiller, Daniel W.; Adelman, Lester S.; Munsat, Theodore L.; Bradley, Walter G.

In: Applied Optics, Vol. 26, No. 16, 15.08.1987, p. 3398-3407.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Brenner, JF, Zahniser, DJ, Ziegelmiller, DW, Adelman, LS, Munsat, TL & Bradley, WG 1987, 'Automated system for the analysis of muscle and nerve biopsies', Applied Optics, vol. 26, no. 16, pp. 3398-3407. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.26.003398
Brenner JF, Zahniser DJ, Ziegelmiller DW, Adelman LS, Munsat TL, Bradley WG. Automated system for the analysis of muscle and nerve biopsies. Applied Optics. 1987 Aug 15;26(16):3398-3407. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.26.003398
Brenner, John F. ; Zahniser, David J. ; Ziegelmiller, Daniel W. ; Adelman, Lester S. ; Munsat, Theodore L. ; Bradley, Walter G. / Automated system for the analysis of muscle and nerve biopsies. In: Applied Optics. 1987 ; Vol. 26, No. 16. pp. 3398-3407.
@article{c31a98e127dc4e79a432c62e98b93903,
title = "Automated system for the analysis of muscle and nerve biopsies",
abstract = "An automated system has been developed for morphometric analysis of muscle and nerve fibers as seen in routine biopsy tissue preparations. This system, which is suitable both for research and clinical applications, is now in routine use at New England Medical Center Hospital. It is designed around commonly available hardware and uses our own custom software. Special sample preparation is not required, and the system will process almost any biopsy that is free from obvious artifact and suitable for manual assessment. In a typical biopsy, the system provides nearly full automation for the edge (boundary) determination of over 90{\%} of the fibers encountered. An efficient, interactive mode allows for rapid analysis of the remaining 10{\%}. Once fiber boundaries are determined, the system provides fully automatic measurement of the usual parameters such as fiber diameter, as well as a number of parameters not routinely measured with existing manual techniques. Typical analysis times are 35 min for muscle and 2 h for nerve. Complete report generation is provided, with hardcopy available in the pathologist's office. This paper describes the operational aspects of the use of the automated analysis system in routine biopsy work.",
author = "Brenner, {John F.} and Zahniser, {David J.} and Ziegelmiller, {Daniel W.} and Adelman, {Lester S.} and Munsat, {Theodore L.} and Bradley, {Walter G}",
year = "1987",
month = "8",
day = "15",
doi = "10.1364/AO.26.003398",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "26",
pages = "3398--3407",
journal = "Applied Optics",
issn = "1559-128X",
publisher = "The Optical Society",
number = "16",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Automated system for the analysis of muscle and nerve biopsies

AU - Brenner, John F.

AU - Zahniser, David J.

AU - Ziegelmiller, Daniel W.

AU - Adelman, Lester S.

AU - Munsat, Theodore L.

AU - Bradley, Walter G

PY - 1987/8/15

Y1 - 1987/8/15

N2 - An automated system has been developed for morphometric analysis of muscle and nerve fibers as seen in routine biopsy tissue preparations. This system, which is suitable both for research and clinical applications, is now in routine use at New England Medical Center Hospital. It is designed around commonly available hardware and uses our own custom software. Special sample preparation is not required, and the system will process almost any biopsy that is free from obvious artifact and suitable for manual assessment. In a typical biopsy, the system provides nearly full automation for the edge (boundary) determination of over 90% of the fibers encountered. An efficient, interactive mode allows for rapid analysis of the remaining 10%. Once fiber boundaries are determined, the system provides fully automatic measurement of the usual parameters such as fiber diameter, as well as a number of parameters not routinely measured with existing manual techniques. Typical analysis times are 35 min for muscle and 2 h for nerve. Complete report generation is provided, with hardcopy available in the pathologist's office. This paper describes the operational aspects of the use of the automated analysis system in routine biopsy work.

AB - An automated system has been developed for morphometric analysis of muscle and nerve fibers as seen in routine biopsy tissue preparations. This system, which is suitable both for research and clinical applications, is now in routine use at New England Medical Center Hospital. It is designed around commonly available hardware and uses our own custom software. Special sample preparation is not required, and the system will process almost any biopsy that is free from obvious artifact and suitable for manual assessment. In a typical biopsy, the system provides nearly full automation for the edge (boundary) determination of over 90% of the fibers encountered. An efficient, interactive mode allows for rapid analysis of the remaining 10%. Once fiber boundaries are determined, the system provides fully automatic measurement of the usual parameters such as fiber diameter, as well as a number of parameters not routinely measured with existing manual techniques. Typical analysis times are 35 min for muscle and 2 h for nerve. Complete report generation is provided, with hardcopy available in the pathologist's office. This paper describes the operational aspects of the use of the automated analysis system in routine biopsy work.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84975654631&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84975654631&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1364/AO.26.003398

DO - 10.1364/AO.26.003398

M3 - Article

AN - SCOPUS:84975654631

VL - 26

SP - 3398

EP - 3407

JO - Applied Optics

JF - Applied Optics

SN - 1559-128X

IS - 16

ER -