Aldosterone production and insulin resistance in healthy adults

Rajesh Garg, Shelley Hurwitz, Gordon H. Williams, Paul N. Hopkins, Gail K. Adler

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

74 Scopus citations

Abstract

Context: Aldosterone production is associated with insulin resistance in obese and hypertensive subjects. However, its effect on insulin sensitivity in healthy subjects is not clear. Objective: The objective of this study was to test the hypothesis that increased aldosterone production is associated with lower insulin sensitivity in healthy subjects. Design: This is an analysis of data previously collected during studies conducted as part of the International Hypertensive Pathotype Consortium. Participants and Interventions: Eighty-four subjects free of any medical or psychiatric illness were included in this study. They were studied after 7 d of a standardized high-sodium diet confirmed by 24-h urine sodium above 200 mEq. Insulin sensitivity index (ISI) was calculated after a 75-g oral glucose load with glucose and insulin measurements at 0, 30, 60, and 120 min. Serum aldosterone levels were measured after 45 min of angiotensin II (3 ng/kg/min) infusion. Results: There were significant negative correlations between ISI and age, body mass index (BMI), diastolic blood pressure,andangiotensin II-stimulated aldosterone level (P < 0.01). Onmultivariate regression analysis, stimulated aldosterone level was an independent predictor of ISI after adjusting for age, BMI, and diastolic blood pressure. Stimulated aldosterone level predicted 8% of the variance in ISI (P = 0.003) with age, BMI, and diastolic blood pressure together predicting 23% of the variance in ISI. Thus, the final regression model predicted31%of the variance in ISI (P < 0.0001). Conclusions: Aldosterone production is associated with insulin resistance in normotensive healthy subjects independent of traditional risk factors.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1986-1990
Number of pages5
JournalJournal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism
Volume95
Issue number4
DOIs
StatePublished - Apr 2010
Externally publishedYes

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
  • Biochemistry
  • Endocrinology
  • Clinical Biochemistry
  • Biochemistry, medical

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Aldosterone production and insulin resistance in healthy adults'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this