Adolescent suicidal ideation

Tiffany Field, Miguel Diego, Christopher E. Sanders

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

34 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Adolescent suicidal ideation and its relationship to other variables was tapped by a self-report questionnaire administered to 88 high school seniors. Eighteen percent responded positively to the statement "sometimes I feel suicidal.Those who reported suicidal ideation were found to differ from those who did not on a number of variables, including family relationships (quality of relationship with mother, intimacy with parents, and closeness to siblings), family history of depression (maternal depression), peer relations (quality of peer relationships, popularity, and number of friends), emotional well-being (happiness, anger, and depression), drug use (cigarettes, marijuana, and cocaine), and grade point average. Stepwise regression indicated that happiness explained 46% of the variance in suicidal ideation, and number of friends, anger, and marijuana use explained an additional 20%, for a total of 66% of the variance. While 34% of the variance remained unexplained, it is suggested that the questions used to measure these four variables be included in global screenings to identify adolescents at risk for suicidal ideation.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)241-248
Number of pages8
JournalAdolescence
Volume36
Issue number142
StatePublished - Jun 1 2001

Fingerprint

Suicidal Ideation
adolescent
happiness
anger
Happiness
Anger
Cannabis
Depression
Mothers
intimacy
genealogy
popularity
drug use
Family Relations
parents
well-being
Cocaine
Tobacco Products
Self Report
Siblings

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Psychology(all)
  • Developmental and Educational Psychology

Cite this

Field, T., Diego, M., & Sanders, C. E. (2001). Adolescent suicidal ideation. Adolescence, 36(142), 241-248.

Adolescent suicidal ideation. / Field, Tiffany; Diego, Miguel; Sanders, Christopher E.

In: Adolescence, Vol. 36, No. 142, 01.06.2001, p. 241-248.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Field, T, Diego, M & Sanders, CE 2001, 'Adolescent suicidal ideation', Adolescence, vol. 36, no. 142, pp. 241-248.
Field T, Diego M, Sanders CE. Adolescent suicidal ideation. Adolescence. 2001 Jun 1;36(142):241-248.
Field, Tiffany ; Diego, Miguel ; Sanders, Christopher E. / Adolescent suicidal ideation. In: Adolescence. 2001 ; Vol. 36, No. 142. pp. 241-248.
@article{68f43987a3fc4f5288da9c91187b423b,
title = "Adolescent suicidal ideation",
abstract = "Adolescent suicidal ideation and its relationship to other variables was tapped by a self-report questionnaire administered to 88 high school seniors. Eighteen percent responded positively to the statement {"}sometimes I feel suicidal.Those who reported suicidal ideation were found to differ from those who did not on a number of variables, including family relationships (quality of relationship with mother, intimacy with parents, and closeness to siblings), family history of depression (maternal depression), peer relations (quality of peer relationships, popularity, and number of friends), emotional well-being (happiness, anger, and depression), drug use (cigarettes, marijuana, and cocaine), and grade point average. Stepwise regression indicated that happiness explained 46{\%} of the variance in suicidal ideation, and number of friends, anger, and marijuana use explained an additional 20{\%}, for a total of 66{\%} of the variance. While 34{\%} of the variance remained unexplained, it is suggested that the questions used to measure these four variables be included in global screenings to identify adolescents at risk for suicidal ideation.",
author = "Tiffany Field and Miguel Diego and Sanders, {Christopher E.}",
year = "2001",
month = "6",
day = "1",
language = "English",
volume = "36",
pages = "241--248",
journal = "Adolescence",
issn = "0001-8449",
publisher = "Libra Publishers Inc.",
number = "142",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Adolescent suicidal ideation

AU - Field, Tiffany

AU - Diego, Miguel

AU - Sanders, Christopher E.

PY - 2001/6/1

Y1 - 2001/6/1

N2 - Adolescent suicidal ideation and its relationship to other variables was tapped by a self-report questionnaire administered to 88 high school seniors. Eighteen percent responded positively to the statement "sometimes I feel suicidal.Those who reported suicidal ideation were found to differ from those who did not on a number of variables, including family relationships (quality of relationship with mother, intimacy with parents, and closeness to siblings), family history of depression (maternal depression), peer relations (quality of peer relationships, popularity, and number of friends), emotional well-being (happiness, anger, and depression), drug use (cigarettes, marijuana, and cocaine), and grade point average. Stepwise regression indicated that happiness explained 46% of the variance in suicidal ideation, and number of friends, anger, and marijuana use explained an additional 20%, for a total of 66% of the variance. While 34% of the variance remained unexplained, it is suggested that the questions used to measure these four variables be included in global screenings to identify adolescents at risk for suicidal ideation.

AB - Adolescent suicidal ideation and its relationship to other variables was tapped by a self-report questionnaire administered to 88 high school seniors. Eighteen percent responded positively to the statement "sometimes I feel suicidal.Those who reported suicidal ideation were found to differ from those who did not on a number of variables, including family relationships (quality of relationship with mother, intimacy with parents, and closeness to siblings), family history of depression (maternal depression), peer relations (quality of peer relationships, popularity, and number of friends), emotional well-being (happiness, anger, and depression), drug use (cigarettes, marijuana, and cocaine), and grade point average. Stepwise regression indicated that happiness explained 46% of the variance in suicidal ideation, and number of friends, anger, and marijuana use explained an additional 20%, for a total of 66% of the variance. While 34% of the variance remained unexplained, it is suggested that the questions used to measure these four variables be included in global screenings to identify adolescents at risk for suicidal ideation.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0035376747&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0035376747&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 11572303

AN - SCOPUS:0035376747

VL - 36

SP - 241

EP - 248

JO - Adolescence

JF - Adolescence

SN - 0001-8449

IS - 142

ER -