The New York Poison Control Center (NYPCC) was started in 1955 and has over the last 26 years grown to be the largest such center in the nation receiving about 60,000 calls per year. Until 1979 the Center had been operating without physician involvement for many years. During this period of time the clinical demand had substantially increased, yet the service was run by exclusively medically unsupervised poison information specialists. This fact was recognized and acted upon by the New York City Emergency Medical Service (EMS). As part of a national grant (DHHS EMS Grant, Section 1203) to improve emergency and critical care, EMS identified poisoning as an area in need of support in New York City.
|Original language||English (US)|
|Number of pages||2|
|Journal||Veterinary and Human Toxicology|
|Issue number||Suppl. 1|
|State||Published - Dec 1 1981|
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Health, Toxicology and Mutagenesis